You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-06 09:32:42

aquila_deus
Website

Mac Menubar applet for Xfce/GNOME panels!

263218425_fce75ce02b_m.jpg         263659404_0dcade1572_m.jpg

AUR: for Xfce 4.4 | GNOME  2.16

It's in my repository ("xfce4-macmenu-plugin" and gnome-macmenu-applet):

[AqD]
Server = http://people.os-zen.net/aqd/repository

You also need gtk2-aqd >= 2.10.6-2 from my repo and xfce 4.4 from shadowhand's or gnome 2.16

To move or remove the applet, move mouse pointer to the rightmost place of the menubar, where you will see something appearing like a flat button, then: (for Xfce) right-click on it, or (for GNOME) left-click on it, don't release button until you select the menu item.

You can right-click to get the panel menu (for restart/quit) if there is no window focused.

Problems and solutions: · GNOME/GTK2 apps' menubars cannot be restored to the original state once you use this applet. However, they wouldn't die even if the applet/panel crashes - restarting panel will catch them back.
· After you restart the panel, the menubar of currently active window may not be visible, unfocus/focus (or shade/unshade) the main window will make it appear again
· Restarting WM may cause some menubars to disappear - restarting panel will solve this
Cheers!

#2 2006-10-07 18:33:10

metzen

Re: Mac Menubar applet for Xfce/GNOME panels!

Nifty stuff AqD, im still trying it out now to see what type of menubar style I prefer.  I'm a little confused about something though...

There's a small toggle-button with a home folder icon to the left of the menu, and I can't seem to figure out what it does when left clicking it.  Is it just some sort of placeholder? or does it exist so that you can right click it to configure the properties of the panel applet (such as moving and deleting)?

#3 2006-10-07 18:44:31

z3ppelin

Would it be possible to modify it to work with gnome-panel ?

#4 2006-10-07 19:45:13

aquila_deus
Website

metzen wrote:

Nifty stuff AqD, im still trying it out now to see what type of menubar style I prefer.  I'm a little confused about something though...

There's a small toggle-button with a home folder icon to the left of the menu, and I can't seem to figure out what it does when left clicking it.  Is it just some sort of placeholder? or does it exist so that you can right click it to configure the properties of the panel applet (such as moving and deleting)?

It's replaced in 1.0.0-2, please re-read the first post. I added some descriptions.

#5 2006-10-07 19:47:46

aquila_deus
Website

z3ppelin wrote:

Yes I'm working on it. Please be patient smile

#6 2006-10-08 08:14:29

aquila_deus
Website

z3ppelin wrote:

Done!

#7 2006-10-08 09:12:05

z3ppelin

aquila_deus wrote:
z3ppelin wrote:

Done!

greate!
just installing it smile

#8 2006-10-08 21:11:39

Martyr
Website

t's in my repository ("xfce4-macmenu-plugin" and gnome-macmenu-applet):

[AqD]

You also need gtk2-aqd >= 2.10.6-2 from my repo and xfce 4.4 from shadowhand's or gnome 2.16

Running gnome 2.16 here, nvidia beta + beryl from unstable, with Metacity it works like a charm, when switching to Beryl the applet still shows up, but the menus won't drop down.

Would love to get this working.....  :?

#9 2006-10-09 14:39:38

z3ppelin

Martyr wrote:

t's in my repository ("xfce4-macmenu-plugin" and gnome-macmenu-applet):

[AqD]

Running gnome 2.16 here, nvidia beta + beryl from unstable, with Metacity it works like a charm, when switching to Beryl the applet still shows up, but the menus won't drop down.

Would love to get this working.....  :?

same problem here.

#10 2006-10-09 17:31:20

icrave

No problem here.

Great job smile.

#11 2006-10-09 20:57:52

Martyr
Website

Ok, fiddled some more with the panel and with beryl settings, and now it works. Not entirely sure _why_ though.  smile

#12 2006-10-10 01:15:10

adichou

Could you please tell me how to unistall this? I unistalled the gnome-macmenu-applet package but the menubar is still there. What is annoying is with non gtk apps, I have a blank bar and I don't like it.
Thanks.

#13 2006-10-10 01:15:59

twiistedkaos

adichou wrote:

Could you please tell me how to unistall this? I unistalled the gnome-macmenu-applet package but the menubar is still there. What is annoying is with non gtk apps, I have a blank bar and I don't like it.
Thanks.

You have to uninstall gtk2-adq, then reinstall gtk2, restart, all should be back to normal.

#14 2006-10-10 01:25:44

adichou

Thank you I'll give it a try.

#15 2006-10-10 01:29:04

adichou

I tried pacman -S gtk2 and pacman -Sf gtk2 but pacman refused to unistall gtk-aqd because many other packages depend on it, even if gtk-aqd was my last installed one. Any idea? Here's my pacman -Sf output:

:: gtk2 conflicts with gtk2-aqd. Remove gtk2-aqd? [Y/n] y

Remove:  gtk2-aqd

Targets: gtk2-2.10.6-1

Total Package Size:   6.8 MB

Proceed with upgrade? [Y/n] y

checking package integrity... done.
error: this will break the following dependencies:
  gtk2-aqd: is required by acroread
  gtk2-aqd: is required by azureus
  gtk2-aqd: is required by beryl-manager-svn
  gtk2-aqd: is required by beryl-settings-svn
  gtk2-aqd: is required by crack-attack
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gconf
  gtk2-aqd: is required by geany
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gftp
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gimp
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gkrellm
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gkrellweather
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gnokii
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gnome-keyring
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gqview
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gtk-engines
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gtk-qt-engine
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gtk-theme-switch2
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gtk-xfce-engine-svn
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gtk2-perl
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gtkmm
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gtksourceview
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gtkspell
  gtk2-aqd: is required by libgksuui
  gtk2-aqd: is required by libglade
  gtk2-aqd: is required by libgpod
  gtk2-aqd: is required by libnotify
  gtk2-aqd: is required by librsvg
  gtk2-aqd: is required by libsexy
  gtk2-aqd: is required by libvisual-plugins
  gtk2-aqd: is required by libwnck
  gtk2-aqd: is required by libxfcegui4-svn
  gtk2-aqd: is required by mozilla-firefox
  gtk2-aqd: is required by mozilla-thunderbird
  gtk2-aqd: is required by mplayer
  gtk2-aqd: is required by obconf
  gtk2-aqd: is required by poppler
  gtk2-aqd: is required by ruby-gdkpixbuf2
  gtk2-aqd: is required by stardict
  gtk2-aqd: is required by streamtuner
  gtk2-aqd: is required by thunar-svn
  gtk2-aqd: is required by vte
  gtk2-aqd: is required by wireshark
  gtk2-aqd: is required by wxgtk
  gtk2-aqd: is required by xchat
  gtk2-aqd: is required by xulrunner
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gvim
  gtk2-aqd: is required by gtk-engine-murrine
  gtk2-aqd: is required by firefox2

#16 2006-10-10 01:53:31

adichou

Figured it:

pacman -Rd gtk2-aqd

Thanks.

#17 2006-10-27 13:43:28

Snarkout

Don't take this the wrong way, because it's obvious that this was a lot of effort on the part of everyone involved, and it does look quite nice (at least in the screenies).  But if you want your DE to look like OS X so badly - and I see a ton of this at gnome and kde look sites so the desire has to be common - why not just run OS X?  Is it an "I love their GUI, hate their backend" kind of thing?

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#18 2006-10-28 01:18:12

wrythe

Snarkout wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way, because it's obvious that this was a lot of effort on the part of everyone involved, and it does look quite nice (at least in the screenies).  But if you want your DE to look like OS X so badly - and I see a ton of this at gnome and kde look sites so the desire has to be common - why not just run OS X?  Is it an "I love their GUI, hate their backend" kind of thing?

No offense, but I think you're observation is pretty flawed. If people based their OS of choice mainly on looks, who the hell would use Windows? Blech. OS X is nice looking, and way superior to Windows as far as I'm concerned, but, like Windows, you're restricted in a lot of ways. As far as I'm concerned, the last line of your comment is more accurate than the rest. If I wanted Gnome to look like the Windows' ugly ass "bliss" theme (how ironic is the name of that?), I can make it look like that. If I want to make it look like OS X then I can do that too (save the dock, maybe). Would you sacrifice Arch, or even Linux in general, just for some eye candy? Or a dock? I don't think a lot of people would say 'yes' to that. The beauty of Linux and its DEs is the customization; if I feel like Gnome looking like OS X one day then I can do it. If I feel like a nice, dirty Manhatten-authored theme the next day then I can do that too.

Plus I don't have to go out and spend money on a proprietary machine (or go through the tedious, dirty hacks) just to run an operating system that looks good.

psearch - manipulate and refine pacman searches

#19 2006-10-28 07:12:44

aquila_deus
Website

jcome wrote:

realy nice , thanks for your hard job.
1 question is when I chick my desktop, the macmenu displays nothing .It will better if it displays the nautilus menu at that time.

I would love this too, but nautilus doesn't provide a default menubar...

#20 2006-10-28 13:50:38

iphitus
Forum Fellow

aquila_deus wrote:
jcome wrote:

realy nice , thanks for your hard job.
1 question is when I chick my desktop, the macmenu displays nothing .It will better if it displays the nautilus menu at that time.

I would love this too, but nautilus doesn't provide a default menubar...

maybe he meant the gnome panel menu?

#21 2006-10-28 16:22:06

Snarkout

wrythe wrote:
Snarkout wrote:

No offense, but I think you're observation is pretty flawed. If people based their OS of choice mainly on looks, who the hell would use Windows? Blech. OS X is nice looking, and way superior to Windows as far as I'm concerned, but, like Windows, you're restricted in a lot of ways. As far as I'm concerned, the last line of your comment is more accurate than the rest. If I wanted Gnome to look like the Windows' ugly ass "bliss" theme (how ironic is the name of that?), I can make it look like that. If I want to make it look like OS X then I can do that too (save the dock, maybe). Would you sacrifice Arch, or even Linux in general, just for some eye candy? Or a dock? I don't think a lot of people would say 'yes' to that. The beauty of Linux and its DEs is the customization; if I feel like Gnome looking like OS X one day then I can do it. If I feel like a nice, dirty Manhatten-authored theme the next day then I can do that too.

Plus I don't have to go out and spend money on a proprietary machine (or go through the tedious, dirty hacks) just to run an operating system that looks good.

Fair enough.  I didn't really make any observations, though, I was asking questions.  And I can also see how desirable this would be to someone coming to linux from the mac - no new workflow to learn/adopt.

-Albert Einstein

#22 2006-10-28 19:58:21

wrythe

Snarkout wrote:

Fair enough.  I didn't really make any observations, though, I was asking questions.  And I can also see how desirable this would be to someone coming to linux from the mac - no new workflow to learn/adopt.

OK, maybe 'observation' wasn't the word I was looking for. wink But I think you see my point.

psearch - manipulate and refine pacman searches

#23 2006-10-30 01:45:49

Snarkout

I guess my real question is "why is the Mac OS look so popular, and so often duplicated?"  If you poke around on gnomelook or kdelook, etc, you'll see many many windecos designed to look like OS X.  The one in this thread is probably the best I've seen, FWIW.

-Albert Einstein

#24 2006-10-30 09:05:43

benplaut

Last edited by benplaut (2021-06-25 12:35:56)

#25 2006-11-05 19:43:44

aviad

hi,

I have a small problem with the xfce plugin. it's too thick. and even if I make the panel smaller, the panel it self dosen't get smaller. (only the icons) is there some way to fix this?

(and oh, yeah - this is one AWESOME hack)

Someday, I'll be a real boy!

Board footer