You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-09 00:36:26

matto
Website

xfce4 + gnome-icon-theme = wrong icons on desktop

Hi
I'm using xfce4 as only desktop environment/windowmanager.
yesterday i installed abiword with pacman -S abiword and afterwards my Trash and Homefolder icons where changed to a kind of gnome default icons.
i don't want this wink

Changing the Icon theme within xfce4 setting changes all icons in thunar and panel but NOT on the Desktop. strange......
pacman -Rcns abiword solved this problem.
finally i got that the package "gnome-icon-theme" (and maybe some packages needed by gnome-icon-theme) caused this icon-problem.
(pacman -S gnome-icon-theme  -> wrong icons on desktop)
(pacman -Rcns gnome-icon-theme -> right icons on desktop)

ok, i just want to use abiword, but don't want these not matching gnome icons on my desktop.....

is it possible to force, i think it is xfdesktop, to use some icons i have choosen? or do i need to configure some gnome stuff to use my icon theme, too?? (maybe by hand or by installing some gnome-configuration tools)

greetings matto

// DAMNiAM //

#2 2007-05-01 19:10:27

ict

Re: xfce4 + gnome-icon-theme = wrong icons on desktop

Hi! Sorry for pushing this.
I'm noticed the same thing right now. Any suggestions?

#3 2007-05-07 14:10:45

lallepot

I'm not too sure... but

1) I would start with reinstalling the icon theme I wanted to use.

2) In the icon theme folder there is a index.theme file. I often change the inherits line. If the icon doesn't exits in the choosen theme, then one from the inherits list is used.

Fx. "Inherits=gnome" -> "Inherits=Rodent" or "Inherits=OSX,Rodent,gnome"

3) I noticed is that often the folders and files doesn't have the right permissions. I believe that own and group should be root, and the user should have read, write and execute access. group and others only read access.  (For me, the problem normally is that 'others' doesn't have read access)

chown root:root -R /usr/share/icons/    #set own and group
chmod go+r -R /usr/share/icons/         #set access rights for 'group' and 'others' to 'read'
chmod u+wxr -R /usr/share/icons/       #set access rights for 'user' to 'read' 'write' and 'execute'

Hope it helps
--lallepot

#4 2007-05-14 16:31:58

ict

I checked into this again as I'd really like to use evince but it keeps messing up my icons.
It seems to be related to the Inherits= line, because I can change the Icons with that line, but I never get back the icons I have when gnome-icon-theme is not installed.
I think the key to this is to find out which icons xfce will use when it can't find any at the usual places. I checked all themes in /usr/share/icons, but the ones displayed on the desktop are not there.

Edit: Ok, so I just found an easy but dirty fix for this. Inspired by your chmodding, I did a chmod a-rwx /usr/share/icons/gnome and started back into xfce. I expected a million error messages but it just worked. I have my icons back and can finally use all those gnome-applications.

Last edited by ict (2007-05-14 16:43:45)

#5 2008-01-03 00:01:38

fi-dschi

has anybody found a solution for this in the meantime? i am still having this problem and i don't want to do a dirty fix.

fi-dschi

#6 2008-04-04 15:50:18

HyperBaton

Sorry to bump, but I'm having this issue as well and I don't quite know how to fix this. I'm quite new to Xfce... I had to install gconf and gnome-icon-theme as dependencies for PulseAudio GTK apps.

#7 2008-04-17 10:46:10

h4mx0r

When I installed abiword the only thing I noticed change was the trashcan icon. I usually go to gnome looks or xfce looks webpage and look for icons. Tango is kool and I like GnomeXP because more retro kind of guy. I'm kind of pissed about how firefox 2.0 changed the house icon, tempted to do a custom theme with one pimped out super house button just to show off the bling :D

Last edited by h4mx0r (2008-04-17 10:47:03)

#8 2008-04-17 15:14:53

faelar
Website

what is in your ~/.gtkrc ?

#9 2008-05-10 15:55:35

beretta

I'm wondering if anyone has made any progress with this issue, as I'm having the same problem.  I've tried adjusting the Inherits= line, but it doesn't have an effect on the gnome icons that appear.  I haven't tried the chmod fix, though that seems temporary at best anyway.

Edit:  Oh, and I don't have a ~/.gtkrc at all.

Last edited by beretta (2008-05-10 15:55:54)

#10 2008-05-10 17:02:54

HyperBaton

I never got it fixed... Switched to gnome anyway a while back for different reasons.

#11 2008-05-10 18:07:33

skottish
Forum Fellow

beretta wrote:

I don't have a ~/.gtkrc at all.

Add a file called .gtkrc-2.0 in your home directory. Add this to that file. Change "Gnome" to whatever icon theme you want to use:

gtk-icon-theme-name="Gnome"

#12 2008-05-10 18:51:32

Bestiapeluda

Well, I use Xfce myself, and I noticed that a lot of programs pull unnecessary Gnome dependencies, like AWN, Exaile, Abiword, etc.
It seems that Arch is more and more Gnome oriented.
On the other side, I don't complain, since ABS saves my day.
Of course you have to be willing to spend some time compiling and editing PKGBUILDS.

#13 2009-02-07 20:25:20

henkidefix

I had the same issue, icons mixed up somehow and could not find much on Archlinux forums exept for this post. Thanks matto already found this was related to abiword & gnome-icon-theme.
I repliacted: remove abiword, icons ok; install abiword, icons ugly.
Searched my system but i could not explain it. Could not understand how Xfce4 searches it's icons. I posted the issue on: http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=4658.0
and the is Wapush explanation:
Xfce's Rodent icon theme inherits Tango and Gnome icons. The Action Buttons plugin first tries to load its icons depending on the standard, in this case "system-log-out" and "system-lock-screen", then try to load Xfce one's "xfce-system-exit" and "xfce-system-lock". Rodent don't have the "system-log-out" icon so the plugin load "xfce-system-exit". Since Rodent inherits the Gnome icon theme, when you install it, the plugin uses first the icon "system-log-out" from Gnome.
i created some symlinks in: /usr/share/icons/Rodent/scalable/apps
   applications-multimedia.svg -> xfce-multimedia.svg
   system-file-manager.svg -> xfce-filemanager.svg
   system-log-out.svg -> xfce-system-exit.svg
   user-trash.svg -> xfce-trash-empty.svg
   user-trash-full -> xfce-trash-full.svg
And now these icons have come back to their Xfce4 models.
I do not bother much with the other gnome icons, these are quite ok.
image: www.flickr.com/photos/29264612@N08/3261257490/
i'm new to Archlinux so if i have anything wrong please do not get angry but just explain things.

#14 2009-05-21 23:15:24

Don Kuan

I hope this will help.

I have hacked a little script to generate iconrc file in /usr/share/icons/gnome. You can get the iconrc file in
http://joekuan.wordpress.com/2009/05/21 … ome-icons/ and update the theme gtkrc file.

I hope this help.

Joe

Board footer