You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-28 07:33:15

kawazu

building offline installation medium?

Folks;

asides my notebook, I also want to have archlinux installed on my home station but as I learnt yesterday it seems my internet connection is somewhat slower there. Unfortunately, the archlinux installation ISO is just around 200 megs at max, just including the base system but no X, XFCE, browser and the like. So I considering the idea of downloading all the files here and just installing them at home, but my archlinux experience yet is to be improved so I am not sure what's the best way following the Arch Way of doing things:

- Would just dumping all the stuff in /var/cache/pacman/pkg to some medium and installing them manually do?
- Is there a way of building a "custom" installation medium containing more than just base, libs, dev, ...?
- What to read to learn how to get this done?

TIA and best regards,
Kristian

#2 2008-03-28 10:42:04

dyscoria

Re: building offline installation medium?

For building your own CD, look at larch.

What you can also do is download the packages you need elsewhere and put it onto a CD or USB (and if you do it using pacman then yes, they'll all be located in /var/cache/pacman/pkg in an installable format. pacman -Sw is a useful command for just downloading without installing). Install with the latest iso and then "pacman -A" all the files you've pre-downloaded.

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#3 2008-03-28 10:48:14

kawazu

dyscoria wrote:

Install with the latest iso and then "pacman -A" all the files you've pre-downloaded.

Merci, this is pretty much what I was looking for. smile

Cheers,
Kristian

#4 2008-03-28 12:16:48

linuxoser
Website

this is the way I install Arch on other computers, I backup all of the /var/cache/pacman/pkg/* files into a removable device, and on the other computer I link the pkg to that removable device.

Linux is for people who want to know why it works.
Mac is for people who don't want to know why it works.
DOS is for people who want to know why it does not work.
Windows is for people who don't want to know why it does not work.

#5 2008-03-28 13:07:23

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

I recomend to take a look at this one: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cus … repository
It more or less remove the need for -Ud to get around deps, since it will behave just like any online mirrors.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer