You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-13 13:44:19

Xappe

Can't change the gray color between GDM and Openbox

Hi!

I installed gdm yesterday to get autologin of gnome-keyring. Everything works as expected except that I cannot get black instead of gray background after the login before the wallpaper kicks in.

I tried setting backgroundcolor in /etc/gdm/custom.conf (both for greeter and themed greeter), and in /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default as suggested on the Ubuntu forums. I searched all night, but couldn't find anything that seemed to work.

It's not the openbox global autostart.sh since I dont load the global one, and I've set the default color there to black.

Suggestions?

vanum est vobis ante lucem surgere

#2 2009-08-15 10:05:54

Fyda

Re: Can't change the gray color between GDM and Openbox

Hmm. Looking at /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default, it looks like the default grey colour is #76848F. I don't know anything beyond that, though. Did you ever find an answer?

I'm using SLiM and have the same problem: there is a grey screen between the time that the greeter / display manager disappears and Openbox starts up. I can't find where Openbox gets its default grey background from, if the background colour is indeed coming from Openbox and not the greeter.

My startup script at ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh contains this:

eval `cat $HOME/.fehbg` &

It does not contain any instruction to set the root window colour (I commented those out). What I would like is not for the colour to be different, but for the solid grey screen to simply not appear at all—if that's possible, that is.

The contents of ~/.fehbg (as created by feh's "set as wallpaper" function) are:

feh --bg-center /mnt/work/wallpapers/01968_cosmosition_1400x1050.jpg

This is especially bothersome because I am using the same image for both the SLiM theme's background and for my desktop wallpaper as set by feh. The idea was to have a seamless transition from the greeter to the desktop (the only difference between them being that the login prompt panel disappears), but the grey screen disrupts that effect.

Desktop "Kuchen": ASUS GeForce EN9600GSO | nvidia driver | AIGLX | 3.5GB RAM | AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ | 1400x1050
Laptop "Borscht": ASUS 1005HA Crystal Black EeePC Seashell

#3 2009-08-15 21:11:41

Tenken

Re: Can't change the gray color between GDM and Openbox

Check your ~/.xinitrc. That can have code to set your background color, your slim->openbox transition still isn't going to be seemless though.

Edit:
Maybe try setting your background in the .xinitrc file instead our in autostart to help the transition

Last edited by Tenken (2009-08-15 21:16:29)

Board footer