You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-10 11:25:03

dav7

Remapping a key at as low a level as possible

Hi.

For some time now, I've used a rather ingenious idea to speed up my productivity: CTRL+S is captured by my windowmanager, Openbox, which runs a script that sends some keystrokes to another display (specifically ^C/Up/Return, to repeat whatever was done before),  then CTRL+SHIFT+S is sent to the currently focused window which I've remapped in my editor to mean "save", and from there the file is saved. Only 0.1% of the time does my editor see the CTRL+SHIFT+S after the keystrokes reach the other display, so there are no synchronization problems there. However.

I'm getting tired of having to, every time I use a new app that maps CTRL+S, check its preferences to see if I can remap CTRL+S to CTRL+SHIFT+S, since apps can't "see" CTRL+S because it's completely captured by my windowmanager.

So, how can I remap the keycombo CTRL+S to something else, from there somehow have pressing CTRL+S launch the script that Openbox currently launches (be that Openbox or something else), so that I can have the script from there send CTRL+S to my main screen?

Thanks.

-dav7

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#2 2009-02-12 10:47:31

dav7

Re: Remapping a key at as low a level as possible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_(Internet)

Last edited by dav7 (2009-02-12 10:51:01)

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--

#3 2009-02-14 08:06:57

dav7

--

#4 2009-02-14 08:21:32

tomk
Forum Fellow

Bumping is not permitted. Do it again and you will be banned.

Read the Forum Etiquette page in our wiki - it's the only one that matters here.

Board footer