You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-13 18:22:28

skottish
Forum Fellow

Is gamin working properly for you?

I'm having some problems with either gamin or pcmanfm. Fairly frequently folder views in pcmanfm stop updating unless I rebuild gamin against my current system libraries. I'm starting to suspect that this is revolving around kernel upgrades. I installed kernel 2.6.28.5 from testing this morning, and gamin started to fail today. Before I file a bug report, I wanted to see if this is happening to anyone else, and if it is, does a simple rebuild fix the problem for you?

#2 2009-02-14 04:40:18

kjon

Re: Is gamin working properly for you?

I'm using gamin with XFCE. No issues over here. Everything is working as it should.

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#3 2009-02-14 05:39:56

skottish
Forum Fellow

kjon wrote:

I'm using gamin with XFCE. No issues over here. Everything is working as it should.

Are you using pcmanfm by any chance?

#4 2009-02-14 06:24:02

xaiviax

I use pcmanfm and gamin, and recently noticed this happening.  After reading this thread (and after currently using testing kernel upgrade) checked and noticed that everything is currently updating fine in pcmanfm.  hmm   Take that info for what it is....

#5 2009-02-14 06:46:18

skottish
Forum Fellow

It's strange because things will be working normally for days on end, then something changes. I've tried with pcmanfm, pcmanfm-svn, and currently with pcmanfm-fuse. If a few more people have the problem, I'll file some sort of bug report.

#6 2009-02-14 08:41:14

kjon

Sorry skottish, I'm using thunar tongue. Gamin on xfce (as a group) is working perfectly: Menus get updated quickly, in the same fashion as folders on thunar. Everything works perfect. I was experiencing difficulties when I was using FAM, but not with gamin.

Hell, I need to sleep. 5:30 AM over here. I guess is a very bad idea to watch cluster edge (26 ep) and genshiken 1 and 2 starting at 10:00 PM... (but gamin works! big_smile)

Last edited by kjon (2009-02-14 08:43:04)

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#7 2009-02-14 15:52:11

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I'm using gamin+xfce and everything is working as it should.
The only exception is when I unhide (hidden files and folders ... ) and hide them again (can be after a good while), thunar hangs and usually I need to open a console and kill thunar, apart from that everything works as expected. When I open thunar again updating continues to work as it should .... I guess this qualifies as a bug but as I can't really tell who the culprit is I can't submit random bug reports (no error messages or warnings that will give any hint who the culprit is ... my guess is thunar but it might be gamin).

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#8 2009-02-14 18:44:55

skottish
Forum Fellow

R00KIE wrote:

I'm using gamin+xfce and everything is working as it should.
The only exception is when I unhide (hidden files and folders ... ) and hide them again (can be after a good while), thunar hangs and usually I need to open a console and kill thunar, apart from that everything works as expected. When I open thunar again updating continues to work as it should .... I guess this qualifies as a bug but as I can't really tell who the culprit is I can't submit random bug reports (no error messages or warnings that will give any hint who the culprit is ... my guess is thunar but it might be gamin).

The infamous race condition between threads bug. It's existed in Thunar for years, is documented in their bug tracker, and is marked as something like "works for me". If you look in your log files, you should find an error (I can't remember what it is) that's being generated hundreds, if not thousands, of times a second. I may not have discovered pcmanfm if it wasn't for this bug.

#9 2009-02-20 21:08:18

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

gamin + thunar works well.
gamin + pcmanfm does not work so well.
Two instances of pcmanfm open, moving files from one to the other (origin -> destination) works for a while then for no apparent reason the changes are not visible anymore until I browse away from the folder and come back. I haven't found a reliable way of duplicating this as of yet. I did use thunar before going to pcmanfm and I might have opened thuner after I was using pcmanfm hmm

R00KIE

#10 2009-02-20 21:25:48

skottish
Forum Fellow

Thanks for update. There's no doubt now that there's a bug, and I was wrong about it revolving around kernel upgrades. I'm searching for information from other distros right now. I'll file a bug report when I have more information, then post the link back here.

#11 2009-02-20 21:33:17

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Will do, I have been trying to replicate the problem, moving files around, two instances of pcmanfm open plus a couple of thunar and other programs as well .... keeps updating fine ... this morning on the train while organizing some files it stopped working .... nasty bug.
Didn't try to rebuild gamin yet but ... if I can't find a reliable way to duplicate the bug not much point I guess (would be another variable to consider ... which is a thing we don't want as of yet I believe).

R00KIE

#12 2009-02-20 21:53:24

skottish
Forum Fellow

Trying to find a reliable way to duplicate the bug is the problem. I'm sure that this never happened until the newest gamin. I'm thinking of rebuilding with all of the debug symbols and waiting for something to stop working.

#13 2009-02-20 22:09:44

flowheat

Does everyone having this problem have both pcmanfm and thunar installed?  From what I can tell almost everyone who claims to have seen it short of skottish has said they have both.  I use LXDE with gamin and have never had thunar on my machine and can't replicate it for the life of me.  Could just be a coincidence though.

#14 2009-02-20 22:29:33

skottish
Forum Fellow

Maybe there's a bit of confusion. I don't use Thunar at all because of a totally different bug. The bug here is only about pcmanfm and gamin for me.

Just for everyone's information, there are no reports about this at bugzilla.gnome.org, Debian, Gentoo, Mandriva, or Fedora. I haven't gone to Ubuntu yet, but those bugs usually end up back in Debian's tracker if they're real.

#15 2009-02-20 23:13:32

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Gamin + PCManFM

The only issue I saw yesterday was when I tried moving 3 800MB files to my external drive. It just hung every time. I finally gave up wink

Haven't seen any other issues.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#16 2009-02-20 23:49:18

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

skottish wrote:

Trying to find a reliable way to duplicate the bug is the problem. I'm sure that this never happened until the newest gamin. I'm thinking of rebuilding with all of the debug symbols and waiting for something to stop working.

That would be way over my head right now .... still a newbie on linux but I expect to get there big_smile
I've been trying to find anything on this bug but no luck.

Gamin should be the culprit here alright, I remember starting to have problems with medit sometime ago, first a recompile would fix the problem but lately it was completely broken with gamin. First the error would be something about famerrorlist I think, lately file changes were not always monitored properly.

It might be related to the last documented change on gamin, example http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gamin/trunk … e&view=log
I guess some change in the kernel and/or headers might have broken something.

R00KIE

#17 2009-02-21 00:35:22

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

OK !! I take back my earlier post.

Now if pcmanfm is running...it will randomly just decide to unmount my usb drive...I don't know if its gamin. -(The randomly being quite often)

As of now, I am not running pcmanfm...just to see if gamin will unmount it even when pcmanfm is not running. If it does, then I will probably move back to fam.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-02-21 00:35:45)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#18 2009-02-21 00:46:33

skottish
Forum Fellow

This is a really hard problem to track. Is it gamin? inotify? dbus/hal? Is it in pcmanfm? the kernel? The build tool chain? Who gets the bug report? Arch? gnome? pcmanfm? Was it done by Mrs. White in the library with the rope?

#19 2009-02-21 04:53:04

skottish
Forum Fellow

I tried out fam and it's worse -- way worse. Out of curiosity, for all of the people that this is happening to, what terminal are you running?

#20 2009-02-21 05:00:56

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

skottish wrote:

I tried out fam and it's worse -- way worse. Out of curiosity, for all of the people that this is happening to, what terminal are you running?

its been about 4 hours since i mounted my usb drive...its still mounted....so its probably a combination of gamin and pcmanfm acting funny.

I am using urxvt as my terminal -- but what has that got to do anything with it?

Do you see the same symptoms with fam - or different ones? if the problem occurs with fam as well - the issue might be with PCManFM, no?

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-02-21 05:02:18)

Forum Rules

#21 2009-02-21 05:22:44

skottish
Forum Fellow

I forgot to add the other part, do you use vim also?

The reason why I'm asking this is that I started to notice strange things happening on my system when I first started using vim. Mainly, if I killed vim ungracefully by hitting the close button on urxvt, all sorts of weird things would start happening. I ended up disabling the close buttons on all of my windows in openbox to train myself to stop closing vim improperly. The vim server needed to close for the gremlins to not appear.

When I wrote the post above, I was editing a script in vim/urxvt. I would edit it then run it. Edit it then run. After a couple of tries I was able to completely break pcmanfm's ability to update anything even with the refresh button. This was with both fam and gamin.

#22 2009-02-21 05:37:42

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

no I do not use vim. this is looking more and more like a bug with pcmanfm. somehow its not playing well with gamin

Forum Rules

#23 2009-02-21 07:00:24

xaiviax

I don't use vim, I use terminal.

#24 2009-02-21 07:27:34

skottish
Forum Fellow

I'm just seeing weird patterns in things. It'll probably amount to nothing.

The pcmanfm thing is new though. For many months I ran it without seeing any issues, then just lately it's acting up. Searching for hours makes me feel as if we're the only people that are talking about this.

#25 2009-02-21 16:25:54

Army

Yesterday I moved some files and renamed folders on my external drive, simple actions actually. Pcmanfm wasn't able to show me the changes until I hit F5. Maybe because it's external? But should not really make a difference imho..

@skottish: Seems like most of the LXDE users come from here, Arch seems to be its strongest userbase.

Board footer