You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-22 06:21:08

yingwuzhao

I found fam working much better than gamin in my Lxde

I have believed that gamin is a better choice than fam and replace fam by gamin at the beginning of my installation of LXDE, but until today, I found some strange behavior in my Pcmanfm: after I delete some folder, it doesn't update, and even hit refresh will not update, it was till there...  This error can be replicated easily.

Then I change gamin into fam, and restart my X, I can NOT recreate this kind of error anymore.

Do you guys have the same experiences? I always thought gamin is better and enough, but I guess I will have to stick with fam.:|

#2 2009-02-22 06:31:16

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: I found fam working much better than gamin in my Lxde

fam broke for me yesterday without doing anything with pcmanfm except watching files update. I wasn't switching views, changing configuration files, or anything. I just had it open to see if some scripts that I was running in a terminal were working correctly. I'm guessing that you saw this thread, but if you didn't, I submitted a bug request to pcmanfm today:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=65307

Let us know if fam keeps working for you.

#3 2009-02-22 06:43:08

yingwuzhao

Thank you for the information.
You know it always make you feel better in problems when knowing you are not alone wink

Gamin just have problem after I freshly installed Arch, now fam seems ok, but I will update here when it begin to act funny in my Arch.

#4 2009-02-22 06:44:53

skottish
Forum Fellow

yingwuzhao wrote:

Thank you for the information.
You know it always make you feel better in problems when knowing you are not alone wink

Gamin just have problem after I freshly installed Arch, now fam seems ok, but I will update here when it begin to act funny in my Arch.

I hope it works perfectly for you. That would be great for all of us.

#5 2009-02-22 18:28:52

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Yeah. Please keep us posted as well. I am starting to get pissed with this bug. And the funny thing is we are not really sure if its a bug with gamin or with pcmanfm

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2009-02-22 19:04:29

xaiviax

After playing around with it for a while, this bug happens in pcmanfm for me with both fam and gamin at about an equal rate.  It does not occur in thunar with either fam or gamin.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to get any error messages from anywhere.

#7 2009-02-22 20:02:28

skottish
Forum Fellow

xaiviax wrote:

After playing around with it for a while, this bug happens in pcmanfm for me with both fam and gamin at about an equal rate.  It does not occur in thunar with either fam or gamin.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to get any error messages from anywhere.

There are no error messages, and fam is just as bad as gamin from my experience. Hopefully we'll get a response from pcmanfm's devs soon.

#8 2009-02-22 20:20:09

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I'd say fam is worse than gamin, at least gamin doesn't hang for no good reason and start using all the cpu time.
If I had to bet I would say this problem is caused by gamin, as another program I was using (medit) started having problems with it a while ago.
It also might be something else that broke gamin's functionality, a change in the kernel maybe .... really a hard bug to find this one hmm

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#9 2009-02-22 20:40:19

yingwuzhao

After getting rid of gamin and reinstall fam, pcmanfm behaves well in my Arch, and now I use command line to do all my copy stuff, pcmanfm update them correctly untill now.

Also, fam has always been the default file-alternation-monitor for most of the Desttop Environment, I think maybe there is a reason why all the devolopers are reluctant to use gamin as default if it is indeed better. As a subset of fam, gamin is probablily not enough for all the desktop activities...:/

Last edited by yingwuzhao (2009-02-22 20:41:07)

#10 2009-02-22 23:37:01

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

As someone once told me here fam can also monitor file changes over the network when using nfs without much overhead due to a server/client scheme while gamin will be pooling for changes (which is very inefficient). But if you don't use any nfs stuff, gamin should suffice as it implements a subset of the features of fam.
Also if everyone was happy with fam, gamin wouldn't have come to exist wink
Of course I could be doing something wrong ...

The problems with fam (in my case) include:
- random hang and 100% usage of one of the cpu cores for no good reason requiring a forced kill and start of fam, with gamin killing the offending program usually is enough (I'm thinking of the thread race problem with thunar)
- fam can't monitor file changes if I use a graphical login for two or more different users on the same machine at the same time while keeping all sessions open (just need to press ctrl+alt+f{7,8,9} to change), gamin works well for me in that particular situation.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#11 2009-02-23 03:05:19

yingwuzhao

Good points, I will be watching out my fam.....
I miss my old arch, which behaves perfect for the last year.
Why do I have so many little problems after installing this new release. I have this kind of mixed feeling of love and hate to Arch big_smile

Other problems I have includes the abnormal behavior of cpufreq, as the following thread discussed:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=64135

also the flash playback problem:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=65875

and also the new hal and polocykit problem [solved though]

I hate waste a whole weekend configuring only my computer.....

But in the end, Arch is still my favorite linux distro wink

Last edited by yingwuzhao (2009-02-23 04:26:45)

#12 2009-02-23 03:48:08

skottish
Forum Fellow

yingwuzhao wrote:

Why do I have so many little problems after installing this new release. I have this kind of mixed feeling of love and hate to Arch

Keep in mind what Arch is. The developers are great, they just don't have any control over what happens upstream.

#13 2009-02-23 04:15:49

yingwuzhao

I know, I love Arch tongue
It's top one on my list, where the second is Dreamlinux.

By the way, Dreamlinxu is counting down on its website, the DL3.5Fianl will come out this Saturday.

#14 2009-03-02 03:49:12

yingwuzhao

Update: since I installed fam, things works perfectly, I have done a lot of work under PCmanFM, but nothing went wrong.
cheers

Board footer