You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-15 12:21:03

panecillo

[~SOLVED] screen + rxvt-unicode scroll

I'm using screen on top of rxvt-unicode, but I'm unable to achieve desired scrolling behaviour. I have found the following termcapinfo everywhere, even on Arch forums:

termcapinfo rxvt-unicode ti@:te@     #enable SHIFT-PGUP / SHIFT-PGDOWN scroll
termcapinfo rxvt ti@:te@
termcapinfo rxvt 'hs:ts=\E]2;:fs=07:ds=\E]2;screen07′

But if I get some output on a window, and then I change to another window and I press Shift+PgUp, I can seen the output from the previous window. Could it be possible to get just the contents of the current window when scrolling? Or does scrolling work this way?

I think I have $TERM correctly set ("rxvt-unicode" outside from screen, "screen" inside).

Last edited by panecillo (2009-03-15 16:01:31)

#2 2009-03-15 14:19:53

BC

Re: [~SOLVED] screen + rxvt-unicode scroll

I think you have to use screen's scrolling mechanism, and not the terminal's

#3 2009-03-15 15:10:53

leo2501

It may not be immediately obvious to the new screen user, but this is one of screen's key features. You won't be able to use your terminal's scroll features while using screen so you'll have to use screen's copy mode.

To scroll back through screen's history, first enable the copy mode by pressing Ctrl+a [ . Now, use either one of the arrow keys, page up, page down, home and end keys to scroll through screen's history.

Pressing Enter will start marking text for copying. Pressing Enter again will copy the selected text into the clipboard. Now, to paste that text, press Ctrl+a ].

Moreover, screen has the ability to log its output to a file on the disk. To enable screen logging, press Ctrl+a H to enable it and again to disable it. By default, the log file will be saved as $HOME/screenlog.1 .

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#4 2009-03-15 16:01:01

panecillo

Oh, I see. I'll use screen own scroll system, thank you both :-)

#5 2009-03-16 13:08:46

leo2501

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Screen
---------------------------------------

If you use scrollback feature a lot and you are using URxvt, then you might want to set:
File: ~/.Xdefaults

URxvt*secondaryScroll: true

This enables you to use Shift-PageUp/Shift-PageDown to move back and forth in scroll buffer. Another frequent cause of using scrollback buffer is, when programs like Vim exit they leave their content on the window. To get rid of this behavior use:
File: ~/.screenrc

altscreen on

smile

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Board footer