You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-18 10:55:17

rocktale

Sluggish video (mplayer, kaffeine) since KDE 4.2

Hi.

I'm running Arch64 on my home desktop with KDE4.2. Since the upgrade from 4.1 the performance of displaying any video content (DVB, avi files etc.) with either mplayer/smplayer or kaffeine (xine-backend) went down the drain.

I can't really tell what it is, it just feels slow, it starts to stutter (and seems to repeat a couple of frames) every time you click somewhere else on the desktop or do something else like moving a window or opening KRunner. This is anoying because I used to put kaffeine on the second monitor to watch some TV (DVB) while working but I can't do that anymore. The sound plays ok, only displaying the video frames seems to be messed up.

Maybe related to that, I can't use any of kaffeine's deinterlacing algorithms anymore. I have the feeling they look worse than before (more like 256 colors) and they drop the video framerate even further.

I used to have a Nvidia Quadro NVS (which exhibited the problem) but replaced it with a GeForce 9500GT which at first seemed to reduce (but not solve) the problem. However, I have the feeling now that things stayed pretty much the same.

I have TwinView enabled but also tried things without it - no change.
I dropped my old xorg.conf in favor of a new (clean) one - no change.
I tried different video outputs (xv, gl, gl2) - no change.
I enabled/disabled desktop effects - no change.
I tried different driver versions (currently using the 180.29-3 from pacman, but also tried 180.22, .27 and .35 in the past) - no change.

The funny thing is that everything else works fine... desktop effects are smooth, even the video performance does not drop (further) when moving the video window itself with transparency and all that stuff.

Any ideas where else to look?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2009-03-18 17:12:44

rocktale

Re: Sluggish video (mplayer, kaffeine) since KDE 4.2

I should add that the problem seems to exist with other apps besides video as well. I tried with glxgears and by right and left clicking somewhere on the desktop I can make the wheels stutter even though the frame rate shown doesn't drop significantly (about 3800fps every time, even when opening KRunner).

It seems to me, there's something wrong with updating Windows or anything on a regular basis. Somehow KDE seems to have an effect there. Besides, CPU consumption is never even close to 40% on each core and I had the problem with Qt 4.4 as well as 4.5.

It's puzzling that I haven't found anything like that on the web or in other forums...

#3 2009-05-25 17:05:06

tuomas22

Re: Sluggish video (mplayer, kaffeine) since KDE 4.2

bump, got exact same problem

Last edited by tuomas22 (2009-05-25 17:05:24)

Board footer