You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-23 20:26:58

whoops

[SOLVED] missing virtualbox-ose GUI? (gnome)

Hello!

I'm using gnome and can't seem to get the virtualbox-ose GUI to get installed anyhow - don't even know if i'm doing it wrong, it's broken or not even supposed to be there.

Tried installing / reinstalling with pacman & compiling abs package so far. Tried some things with qt too, didn't change anything.

Ideas / solutions?

Last edited by whoops (2009-03-23 21:15:08)

#2 2009-03-23 20:56:59

phisphere
Website

Re: [SOLVED] missing virtualbox-ose GUI? (gnome)

what do you mean by gui? virtualbox doesn't appear in gnome menus or it doesn't work?

try running command "VirtualBox" (with big V if i'm not mistaken) in terminal. if it throws and error, post it here.

#3 2009-03-23 21:14:37

whoops

Re: [SOLVED] missing virtualbox-ose GUI? (gnome)

Hi!

Have not been able to find anything (manual and with find | grep virtual), that made appear a GUI (or an error message) when started, but I got it now somehow, thanks anyway!

Did a lot of "random stuff", now it works, no idea why. Here the things I can remember:

ln /opt/qt/lib/libqt* /usr/lib
saved some qt-profiles (whatever that is) in different places
compiling "qt" package from abs
cp /opt/qt/lib/libqt* /usr/lib
recompiling & installing virtualbox-ose
reinstalling virtualbox-ose with pacman (=error message)

rm /usr/lib/libqt*
ln /opt/qt/lib/libqt* /usr/lib

after I did all this, I tried starting everything with "virtual' for the 100th time and there it was: the GUI,
VirtualBox (= /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox).

maybe I somehow wrecked it when I first tried to compile it myself and now have somewhere overwritten the erratic entry or something...

(if it's supposed to appear in gnome menus, that part is still broken, but i guess i'll figure out how to add it - found a folder with a lot of "gnome app entries" somewhere lately, will find it again. )

yupp, manual desktop entry in /usr/share/applications did the rest... named it "virtualbox-ose.desktop" with

[Desktop Entry]
Name=VirtualBox
Name[de]=VirtualBox
Comment=Virtual Box Open Source Edition
Exec=VirtualBox
Icon=virtualbox
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
Type=Application
Categories=System;Application;

... which at least works with the icon set hydroxygen.

Last edited by whoops (2009-03-23 21:33:04)

Board footer