You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-24 16:38:41

Nazgulled

GNOME doesn't work correctly with startx only by GDM

This is driving me nuts, I'm having a bunch of problems because I'm starting my GNOME session using startx instead of GDM and this bugs me a lot because I prefer startx most of the times...

1) One of the problems is that the sound does not work with startx. Starting through GDM, the sound is ok. What's even more frustrating is that sometimes, it doesn't even work through GDM hmm

2) I can't unlock anything in the "System » Administration" menu. All of the "unlock" buttons are grayed out and I can't click them. But it works on GDM. However, whatever setting I change (after unlocking) is not saved...

#2 2009-03-24 20:35:51

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: GNOME doesn't work correctly with startx only by GDM

If you are using stratx, you will need to have something like "exec ck-launch-session gnome-session" in your ~/.xinitrc file to launch consolekit.  GDM does this automatically for you.

#3 2009-03-25 01:15:29

Nazgulled

I tried that but still, when I change something, like enable some service, click close and reopen the "services", it's not checked as I left it... hmm

#4 2009-03-27 01:27:39

Nazgulled

Any more ideas?

#5 2009-03-30 21:14:37

tandycorp

I also use gnome without gdm. for sound, it may be a conflict with pulseaudio (or a wrong output device), try setting alsa correctly (in rc.conf and by using alsaconf, alsamixer, alsactl store) and then look at what is the output device used in gnome (by double clicking on the speaker icon)..
But since your settings cannot be saved correctly you should first try to correct that problem, then the audio problem should  be easy to resolve.
In my case the settings are saved correctly (I first installed gdm then completely deleted it). You may want to look to the hal wiki and add your user in /etc/d-bus/system.d/hal.conf. It looks like a session problem.

Last edited by tandycorp (2009-03-30 21:21:52)

#6 2009-04-01 23:15:34

Nazgulled

tandycorp wrote:

But since your settings cannot be saved correctly you should first try to correct that problem, then the audio problem should  be easy to resolve. In my case the settings are saved correctly (I first installed gdm then completely deleted it). You may want to look to the hal wiki and add your user in /etc/d-bus/system.d/hal.conf. It looks like a session problem.

I've read the wiki but I don't know what should I do to the hal.conf everything seems "normal" to me...

EDIT:
I don't know what I've done (changed lots of things lately and configuration files) but the sound seems to be working now... Not every time, but most of the time, it seems so. I have enabled the button sound (when you click a button) temporarily to see if the sound keeps working for the time being...

Also, the unlock button now is enabled and here's a thing I found about the settings not being saved. I open "Administration » Services", for instance, and click "unlock", input password, enable GDM, which was disabled of course and click "close". I open "Administration » Services" again and with everything disabled, I see that GDM is not checked, still, I click "unlock" again, the services list is unlocked and GDM is still unchecked. But, if I look inside /etc/rc.conf, I can see the gdm daemon was added to the list... If I reboot the computer, GDM will start automatically and if once again I go to "Administration » Services", now I see GDM checked. If I try to uncheck it, it will work, but I will only see the unchecked value in the "Services" window after another reboot. Is this normal?

Last edited by Nazgulled (2009-04-01 23:32:41)

Board footer