You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-25 19:19:37

zapyourit

[SOLVED] [KDE 4.2] HELP: Trying to set keybindings, may have broke KDE

I consider myself to be a moderately competent Linux user, but I honestly have no idea what I've done now.

I was using the System Settings dialog in KDE, trying to set a global keybind. I wanted to set "Move Window to Desktop 1" to Ctrl+Alt+Shift+1 (as I have moving windows while moving to a different desktop set to Ctrl+Alt+Shift+<Arrow>).

However, when inputting the desired command, KDE booted me out to basic Arch, no desktop or X or just about anything. Trying to restart KDE using the "kdm" command failed to get any response whatsoever out of the system.

It's possible that my finger might have slipped and hit Esc, F1, tilda, or Q instead of the 1 key when trying to enter "Ctrl+Alt+Shift+1" though I have no idea what any of those alternative commands might do.

I was using the KDEmod version of 4.2.1 and all updates available to the Arch system.

Any and all help in fixing this would be a great help. I would really prefer not to do a fresh install of Arch as I was just getting things the way I like them, but if that's what I have to do...

Thank you in advance for any and all replies.
~Zapy

Last edited by zapyourit (2009-03-26 05:51:48)

#2 2009-03-25 19:31:47

Primoz

Re: [SOLVED] [KDE 4.2] HELP: Trying to set keybindings, may have broke KDE

I can't even recreate what you did. I'm trying to set move windows to desktop 1 with Ctrl+Alt+Shift+1 but i just can't it's like it wouldn't accept it.
Well try startx or initx to see if X is still working.
And KDM probably didn't do anything because it was still running.
You have to first stop KDM and start it again:

/etc/rc.d/kdm stop
/etc/rc.d/kdm start

And on the end are you sure you didn't press ctrl+alt+F1 by mistake?

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#3 2009-03-25 19:42:09

zapyourit

Thanks for the quick response. This is why I love the Arch community...

X was still able to run. I started it with the startx command and then tried to get into KDM from there. which failed. But at least I know X is ok.

I actually don't have KDM in the daemons array. I like booting into a normal Arch system with no DE running in case I break something (see: post #1). I tried rebooting the entire system, then running X, then running KDM which failed again. So I exited out of X and tried KDM again: also nothing.

It is entirely possible that I did press Ctrl+Alt+F1 by mistake. I'm really not sure what I did explicitly press, in the end. What would Ctrl+Alt+F1 have done? And any ideas on how to fix it (if it's fixable)?

#4 2009-03-25 19:47:08

Primoz

Well it seems that you didn't press ctrl+alt+F1 as that just opens vc1 eg. the CLI.
So you would just press ctrl+alt+F7 and would get back to KDE.
But I fear that this is far worse than that. Especially if you can't get your KDM working, even after restart.

#5 2009-03-25 20:49:40

zapyourit

Yeah, I have no idea what I did or what shortcut I accidentally pressed and whatnot. It's not looking too good...

#6 2009-03-25 21:07:51

Primoz

Well what about making a new user and trying to start from that one. That might shed some light on what you did wrong.
That's how I go my Firefox (and Arora) working again after they would just crash.

#7 2009-03-26 05:50:58

zapyourit

Hey just wanted to say thanks again for the help. I actually just went in and modified my xorg.conf (putting in a space, deleting, resaving) and then resinstalled the base KDE packages. Fixed everything and all of my config files are there. I tried adding the user though, but that didn't help either.

Still clueless as to exactly what I did, but oh well. Fixed! Thanks for the concern.

Board footer