You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-01 21:12:39

JoshuaK
Website

OpenBox + Notify-OSD = What...

I would like to know if anyone here has used Notify-OSD (notify-osd-bzr in AUR) in OpenBox. I love both, and would love it if they played nicely with each other. Any luck people? Just some apps I use in case they dont work either:

Firefox (I've read Ubuntu's teaming with Mozilla for this)
Pidgin, Gajim or Empathy (pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd, and Empathy should work, but Gajim?)
Skype (Doesn't even play nice with N-OSD in Ubuntu...)
Rhythmbox / Goggle's Music Manager / Banshee (banshee has package in AUR, Rhythmbox supposedly works, would like confirmation on these three)
Sometimes I use Xchat (haven't tested, any data on this?)

Thanks! I sound like a newb here, sorry for that (you'll see and hear that I have used Arch off and on since September wink

Meh has new account! This one left behind for history's sake...

#2 2009-04-01 21:40:22

Thor

Re: OpenBox + Notify-OSD = What...

I use it under openbox since Mark announced it and works ok. Firefox, no luck. Gajim works; Pidgin works after patching pidgin-libnotify (just a line); never tried skype; xchat works out of the box; I use mpd with a custom script and "it works wink", no idea about the others.

Good luck with that

#3 2009-04-01 21:47:36

JoshuaK
Website

Thanks for the speedy reply. Well then, time to backup Music and Games and stuff like that and prepare to kick Ubuntu to the curb for the zillionth time smile

#4 2009-04-03 17:14:02

GogglesGuy
Website

Goggles Music Manager works with any notification daemon that implements the "Desktop Notification Spec" (http://www.galago-project.org/specs/notification/0.9/). Just tested it with notify-osd and it seems to work.

#5 2009-04-03 17:20:22

uastasi

JoshuaK wrote:

I would like to know if anyone here has used Notify-OSD (notify-osd-bzr in AUR) in OpenBox. I love both, and would love it if they played nicely with each other. Any luck people? Just some apps I use in case they dont work either:

Firefox (I've read Ubuntu's teaming with Mozilla for this)
Pidgin, Gajim or Empathy (pidgin-libnotify-notify-osd, and Empathy should work, but Gajim?)
Skype (Doesn't even play nice with N-OSD in Ubuntu...)
Rhythmbox / Goggle's Music Manager / Banshee (banshee has package in AUR, Rhythmbox supposedly works, would like confirmation on these three)
Sometimes I use Xchat (haven't tested, any data on this?)

Thanks! I sound like a newb here, sorry for that (you'll see and hear that I have used Arch off and on since September wink

Gajim has been patched to work with -> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=24596

Till the last battle, till the last bottle.
aur - twitter

#6 2009-04-15 20:07:35

JoshuaK
Website

Thanks all, got it just now, tested works fine. I now use MPD, so what is you custom script to display the song? I would LIKE for it to show the top line (therefore bold) the song, followed by, on a new line the artist. Next line COULD be album, I could care less there.

#7 2009-04-26 11:24:27

Nepherte
Website

This happens to be exactly what you are looking for: http://chadok.info/mpn/

#8 2009-09-01 18:05:46

lswest
Website

Also, you can use a custom script as a custom notification in Skype, so that it uses notify-osd.  Just go to the Skype preference, notifications and "advanced view".  I'm not at my machine atm, but if you want the script I use, send me an email (you can do that from my profile), and I'll pastebin it/send it to you.

Hope that's what you're looking for,
Lswest

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

Board footer