You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-17 16:37:39

hauntergeist

How to authenticate with CUPS ?

Hello.

At my university there is a print service and it's theoretically possible to send print jobs from home. In order to do this I have to set up a new printer as a 'windows printer via samba'. The problem is, that I have to authenticate, but I simply don't know how to send authentication information using CUPS.
There is a manual from the central computer service of my university. It uses Ubuntu to set up the printer connection and they can authenticate, but I don't know how I can accomplish this with Arch.
Manual (written in german):
http://www.univie.ac.at/ZID/uprint-linux/

Moreover the connection should be secure. Does cups support a secure authentication?

Greetings,
hauntergeist

#2 2009-04-24 21:22:02

hauntergeist

Re: How to authenticate with CUPS ?

I figured out that there is a possibility to connect to establish a vpn connection. I tried to use it to authenticate my notebook, but before I can even try it, there are some strange phenomena.
- after I installed vpnc and established a vpnc connection as root to my university from my dormitory, I can't reach anything that's behind http://localhost:631 i.e. I can reach the front page but no configuration or the like. So I can't test if I can send print jobs via vpn sad
- when I am at my university and log into the local wireless network, then I can't even find http://localhost:631 ! Every time I try and type it into the browser it always searches for 'www.localhost.com'.

What can I do about it?

Greetings,
haunted

#3 2009-09-18 14:59:24

hauntergeist

Ok, I figured out how to send a username and a password via CUPS to authenticate to the printer. It works like this

smb://username:password@workgroup/server/printersharename
smb://username:password@server/printersharename

and can be found here, at the Samba docs.

I went to my university, logged into the wireless network and tested it. I was able to print my first page via u:pring! Hooray! \o/

The problem, that I still can't access http://localhost:631/ remains. Damnit, why does it always redirect me to www.localhost.com, which doesn't exist, when I am in the university's network?!?

The next thing I want to try is to print a test page from my dormitory to prove that I can print via CUPS and VPN.

Security issue: I think that the username and password are sent as clear text to the printer, so sending a print job via the a normal, non-vpn Internet connection to the printer is unsecure.
VPN should be secure, isn't it?

Greetz,
haunted

#4 2009-10-02 01:09:47

hauntergeist

Ok, now I've solved everything.

I prevent the localhost.com problem by typing 127.0.0.1:631 into the firefox browser. I got the hint that when I get a output like this

bash-3.2$ host localhost   
Host localhost not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
bash-3.2$

then ff is trying to guess the correct url. By giving the IP adress instead of the URL I prevented the problem of resolving the URL and getting a false guess.

I asked the local informatics service of my university if vpn would be secure and the answer in short is "yes". In most cases the security problem is not the vpn-tunnel but the computer where the data enters the tunnel and the server where the data leaves the tunnel.

Is established a vpn connection like it is described in the manual of the university of vienna and send a print job via CUPS to the printer. I succeeded. Yeah! <o/ You need a vpn connection otherwise the print job will be rejected.

I think I'll write a short wiki article about this, if I have the time.

Greetz,
haunted

#5 2016-10-18 18:07:17

gideonite

Greetings,

I'm having similar troubles. Using the CUPS web GUI, I keep getting an error

"Session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE"

I entered the printer address with the username and password as discussed above. I also setup a simple `smb.conf` as they define in their documentation as the simplest possible one (http://pastebin.com/GNWQhsmB).

Not sure how to continue with this. Any pointers?

Thanks,
Gideon.

#6 2016-10-18 18:47:05

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Hi gideonite, welcome to the forums. Please take a moment to read through our community's code of conduct. As this topic is old, please open a new topic for your issue.

Closing.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer