You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-21 09:35:08

*blasco*

Total block with shutdown or restart

Hi all,
Since I have update the xorg-server to 1.6.0 version (now I have the 1.6.1 but the problem is the same, with an intel i810) I have a strange problem. In a few words, sometimes (not always) when I try to shut down o reboot my laptop, instead of seeing the usual line of services interrupting, I obtain a total black screen and I have to press the power button to shut down the machine.

A curious thing I noticed is that if I leave the laptop in the block status for e.g. 30 minutes without press the power button, when I reboot the machine the clock of KDE is exactly 30 minutes back!

This not happens always but only sometimes..the other times the shutdown and reboot works correctly..

Thank you

Maurizio.

Last edited by *blasco* (2009-04-21 16:49:28)

#2 2009-04-22 10:20:07

*blasco*

Re: Total block with shutdown or restart

Nobody with the same problem?!?

#3 2009-04-22 10:58:52

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

not sure if it's the same problem, but I've been experiencing a similar issue, also with kde. on shutdown, it seems like some apps are blocking the exit from kde and the pc won't shut down. I can switch to a VT, using shutdown -h now works.

#4 2009-04-22 11:21:44

*blasco*

[...] I can switch to a VT, using shutdown -h now works.

Sorry but what do you mean with VT?

How can I see if a program blocks the shutdown?  Because maybe the problem is not xorg-server (even if I have this problem from the first time I have installed xorg-server 1.6). There exists a method to see if a program blocks the shutdown/restart??

#5 2009-04-22 11:45:21

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

VT = virtual terminal, you can switch to one using ctrl-alt-f1 (and f2,f3,etc).

i can't see anything specific about program blocking - the screen goes black and sometimes a program window will stay open - for example sylpheed.

#6 2009-04-22 12:51:38

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

*blasco* wrote:

[...] I can switch to a VT, using shutdown -h now works.

Sorry but what do you mean with VT?

How can I see if a program blocks the shutdown?  Because maybe the problem is not xorg-server (even if I have this problem from the first time I have installed xorg-server 1.6). There exists a method to see if a program blocks the shutdown/restart??

What happens if you switched out of your running KDE to a virtual console (e.g. alt-strg-F2 -- I prefer the second one because the first may be used during boot already)? There log in as root and then issue "shutdown -h now".
This should attempt to bring the system down so that you can follow any messages on screen.

If this works, the problem should be with some module/tool/plugin used by your KDE. You might try to set up a fresh KDE in a new test user and check the behaviour there. If it works, enable your settings one by one until the error comes up again.

I successfully fixed similar problems this way several times now.

Last edited by bernarcher (2009-04-22 12:52:10)

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#7 2009-04-22 13:31:54

*blasco*

What happens if you switched out of your running KDE to a virtual console (e.g. alt-strg-F2 -- I prefer the second one because the first may be used during boot already)? There log in as root and then issue "shutdown -h now".
This should attempt to bring the system down so that you can follow any messages on screen.

If this works, the problem should be with some module/tool/plugin used by your KDE. You might try to set up a fresh KDE in a new test user and check the behaviour there. If it works, enable your settings one by one until the error comes up again.

I successfully fixed similar problems this way several times now.

Thank you, the next time the problem happens I try to follow your hints and so I can report the behaviour of my laptop and eventually try set up a new user, etc.

#8 2009-04-23 22:39:06

*blasco*

So, I cannot switch to another VT when the laptop is blocked.. so I'm not able to do "shutdown -h now"..If I try to press ctrl+alt+Fx I don't obtain any action..

#9 2009-04-23 23:11:16

ataraxia

Do the lights on your keyboard blink all together? If you see that, your machine is crashed.

#10 2009-04-24 11:07:15

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

*blasco* wrote:

So, I cannot switch to another VT when the laptop is blocked.. so I'm not able to do "shutdown -h now"..If I try to press ctrl+alt+Fx I don't obtain any action..

Seems I was not clear enough. I didn't mean you switch to a VC when your system has already blocked. Instead try to shut down from a VC instead of from inside the KDE. This will try to bring your KDE down and should display a series of messages which hopefully will hint at what actually goes wrong.

Last edited by bernarcher (2009-04-24 11:08:00)

#11 2009-04-24 11:15:25

*blasco*

bernarcher wrote:
*blasco* wrote:

Seems I was not clear enough. I didn't mean you switch to a VC when your system has already blocked. Instead try to shut down from a VC instead of from inside the KDE. This will try to bring your KDE down and should display a series of messages which hopefully will hint at what actually goes wrong.

Ah ok sorry..

but if I change VT and shutdown the laptop from terminal I don't obtain any hint..but the normally series of shutdown services that work fine..The problem is that this problem occurs not always but only sometimes..maybe I should shutdown my laptop always with "shutdown -h now" and hoping that the problem will occur, so in this way I can (perhaps) obtain some hint at what goes wrong..

#12 2009-04-24 11:37:17

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Still it may be worth a try checking if this shutdown problem persists with a new user and a "bare" KDE. A presume some of your basic configs and/or installation went wrong.

If nothing helps, did you try reinstall your KDE?

#13 2009-04-24 17:51:36

*blasco*

bernarcher wrote:

Still it may be worth a try checking if this shutdown problem persists with a new user and a "bare" KDE. A presume some of your basic configs and/or installation went wrong.

If nothing helps, did you try reinstall your KDE?

Sometime the "block" happens also if a try to change VT with ctrl+alt+Fx..instead of open a new session it crash..I don't know..I try first to add a new user and eventually reinstall KDE..

Board footer