You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-04 20:31:55

whoops

X keyboard layout suddenly wrong / won't listen to xorg.conf

Hi!

- After last restart I noticed, that I suddenly had quertz instead of querty (xorg, slim and xfce).
- I checked xorg.conf, everything still as it was.
- I still got querty in the tty's, but not in X.
- Restarting X didn't change anything, no matter to what layout I set in xorg.conf.
- setxkbmap -layout [layout] works fine (+ fixes it for the session).

(The only thing that "was changed" on the system was... well - a "high precision incision" at the usb-receivers [cordless kbd + mouse, logitech] cable - some of one cable is showing, but no cables are touching or damaged and I think only some of the tasty isolation and the isolating tape I used when I fixed it the last three times are missing. While I somehow think damage like this to be causing an error like that should be really really unlikely, I didn't want to miss mentioning it - just in case.)

Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited by whoops (2009-05-04 20:33:00)

#2 2009-05-10 12:31:07

kiepmad

Re: X keyboard layout suddenly wrong / won't listen to xorg.conf

I actually do have the same problem, just instead of having qwertz, I end up having qwerty.

This happened after the recent Xorg update, I'm using newest nVidia driver.
I'm using gdm and LXDE

my xorg.conf
http://rafb.net/p/zoWid862.html

Did I miss something?

#3 2009-05-10 19:29:14

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I don't know what you guys call 'recent' Xorg updates, but if that is like a month or longer to you, then yes, there have been 'recent' updates.

My guess is you have been missing something (something you could have found searching the forum):

http://www.archlinux.org/news/424/

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … _xorg.conf

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2009-05-10 20:09:10

whoops

Hi!

I know how to "Setting non-us keyboard without xorg.conf", that's what I've been doing since that problem started (and it works). But setting non-us keyboard WITH xorg.conf stopped working (recently).

Was there another more recent xorg-update (maybe in testing which I'm using) I didn't notice? If not, I can't think of any changes that could have caused that for me (besides the "unlikely ones" I mentioned in my first post). Everything was working fine with xorg 7.4 (until 2009-05-04 22:31:55 wink ).

Just in case that means anything:

pacman -Qs xorg
local/hwd 5.5-1
local/xorg-font-utils 7.4-2
local/xorg-fonts-alias 1.0.1-2
local/xorg-fonts-encodings 1.0.2-3
local/xorg-fonts-misc 1.0.0-4
local/xorg-server 1.6.1-1 (xorg)
local/xorg-server-utils 7.4-6 (xorg)
local/xorg-utils 7.4-4 (xorg)
local/xorg-xauth 1.0.3-1
local/xorg-xinit 1.1.1-1 (xorg)
local/xorg-xkb-utils 7.4-2

Edit: Can't restart xorg for a while now, but tomorrow I guess I'm going to try and do a new xorg.conf starting out from xorg log autoconfigure. (And I guess I'm going to solder that stupid cable again - just in case. And maybe I should complain to logitech, that the plastic they're using for the outer cable mantle is way to tasty big_smile - damn you,  plasticizers!) - if noone has any better ideas...?

Last edited by whoops (2009-05-10 20:19:27)

#5 2009-05-10 21:18:19

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Xorg server 1.5 really started using HAL - also for the keyboard layout and stuff. Maybe you just kept your X up and running till May 4th, but that I can't comment about... If you know how to set the keyboard with HAL, then I don't see what the problem is.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer