You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-18 20:52:13

hamster

Cannot login to tty as normal user

I've been using arch for about eight months and my first real problem just occurred.

After booting into a console and loggin in as a normal user a blank non-promt newline appears in the console and the start-up scripts in .bash_profile and subsequently .xinitrc are not executed and X doesn't start (after pressing ctrl+c a few times the console is cleared and the login prompt reappears). I've tried changing those files in case it was a scripting error, but no, still nothing. Logging in as root in the tty works fine, and I can then su into my normal user and do anything I would normally do.

I have also created a new user but the problem still occurs, nothing happens upon logging in.
Seems pretty strange to me, any suggestions?

#2 2009-05-19 14:09:14

LeoSolaris

Re: Cannot login to tty as normal user

Can you login without the scripts?

Something my have changed in the way bash reads bash_profile.

Try logging in with a standard bash_profile, and a standard bashrc. (meaning just change their names and let bash start up without them.)

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#3 2009-05-19 19:55:58

hamster

Re: Cannot login to tty as normal user

I did think that may be the problem, but it seems that it isn't - I have changed both files but doing so made no difference, it also wouldn't explain why it happens to other non-root users and doesn't affect me when using su.
Frankly I'm quite mystified.

I should probably have mentioned that I'm using the 64 bit version of arch and that everything I'm using is completely up-to-date as of Sunday May 17th.

Last edited by hamster (2009-05-19 20:11:40)

Board footer