You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-21 15:53:56

LonelyStar

A panel with a special kind of pager

Hi,

I am currently looking for the right panel to use with musca (a light tiling WM).
What I miss in all panels is a pager wich does the following:

- Display all existing workspaces with name
- Display the current active workspace differently (other color or any other marking)
- Display workspaces with clients different than workspaces without clients (other color or any other marking)

Any one an Idea what I could use?

Thanks!
Nathan

#2 2009-05-21 16:12:33

Ramses de Norre

Re: A panel with a special kind of pager

Shouldn't be too hard to hack pypanel to do this..

#3 2009-05-21 19:15:06

moljac024

There is no panel like that....I wanted one too...but dwm's built-in bar is just like that wink

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#4 2009-05-22 15:49:24

Intrepid

Some people use tint task manager, which I can believe will show the workspace names.  However, what makes it great is the setup.  Just try it and you'll understand!

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#5 2009-05-22 18:59:18

madalu

+1 tint

It provides really nice overview of all my desktops at the bottom of the screen and I can easily drag items from one desktop to the next.

#6 2009-07-02 10:02:31

alecmg

LonelyStar wrote:

What I miss in all panels is a pager wich does the following:

- Display all existing workspaces with name
- Display the current active workspace differently (other color or any other marking)
- Display workspaces with clients different than workspaces without clients (other color or any other marking)

Any one an Idea what I could use?

I'm looking at my xfce panel and seems like its pager can do all that.
Display names, color differently, show application window contours on their workspaces

Not sure if you can install/launch it separately and whether it will load xfce dependencies into memory

Last edited by alecmg (2009-07-02 10:03:42)

Xyne wrote:
"We've got Pacman. Wacka wacka, bitches!"

#7 2009-07-02 11:01:05

LonelyStar

I'm looking at my xfce panel and seems like its pager can do all that.
Display names, color differently, show application window contours on their workspaces

Not sure if you can install/launch it separately and whether it will load xfce dependencies into memory

How do you make it display the name?
I currently trying around with it ...

#8 2009-07-03 21:11:24

Knute

Have you tried visibility?

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=13316

Basically all it shows is the icons... It has the names in the tooltips, and in the config file (located in ~/.config/visibility), you can specify all of the options, colors, fadings, fonts, and desktop names.  Since I only use one desktop, I don't have those options on and if you need a config file,  I can send you mine, and the override file for icons.

Knute

#9 2009-07-06 06:38:15

alecmg

LonelyStar wrote:

How do you make xfce-panel display the name?
I currently trying around with it ...

Rightclick on pager (Workspace Switcher), Properties, tick Show Workspace names. for me it shows Workspace1, Workspace2 etc. I remember seeing somewhere where I could change workspace names too...

On a different note, I was looking for some more lightweight replacement for xfce-panel. Tried pypanel and its quite cool. But alas, too addicted to gui settings. Gave up when trying to set up launchers for favorite programs. How am I supposed to know where icon files for every program sit??

Last edited by alecmg (2009-07-06 06:40:16)

Xyne wrote:
"We've got Pacman. Wacka wacka, bitches!"

Board footer