You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-25 13:22:55

belbono

[SOLVED]Login loop in KDM after KDEmod upgrade to 4.2.3

Hi,

I may have a similar problem mentioned in http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=71952
I upgraded to kdemod 4.2.3 and after logging in in kdm the screen is black for a short time before kdm shows up again.
What I did was the pacman -Syu with insufficient diskspace (did not recognize before..) and the result were several error messages (during the upgrade) about scripts that could not executed, and errors about 'no ELF file [header] in several /usr/lib/ files.

After this I tried to clean this mess up. I uninstalled the whole kdemod with pacman -Rsc kdemod-uninstall
I also figured out the packages which does contain the rest of bad files in /usr/lib. I reinstalled those with pacman -Sf
I did the same with kdemod: pacman -Sf kdemod-complete. After this I had no error messages so far.

At this point I was hopeful to solve the problem I might have caused. But it was disappointing.

For now, I would say I solved every bad file I have caused during the upgrade, so maybe those login loop in kdm would have hit me anyway.
To make it clear: Before upgrading I had none of these problems with kdemod 4.2.2.

I checked Xorg.log and it says something about missing modules (freetype, Type1), commented that out -> no change.
I also tried to create a new xorg.conf with hwd, no change.
hwd -s gives some strange output about 'command not found' concerning three 3D-Controller variables, along with sound related devices. But there are no problems with sound output so far.
hwd -u makes no difference in those messages.

Does anyone have an idea what might cause this all? Please let me know what file output would be helpful.

Thanks

Last edited by belbono (2009-05-26 17:18:52)

#2 2009-05-26 17:21:35

belbono

Re: [SOLVED]Login loop in KDM after KDEmod upgrade to 4.2.3

In the end it was an issue with my failed upgrade process. I had some broken dbus and gstreamer packages.

Some hints were found in errors.log and the rest was done along with the pacman.log

After reinstalling the broken packages everything went fine.

A suggestion: Is it possible to add a feature to pacman, that gives you a warning if you might have insufficient diskspace?

#3 2009-05-26 18:03:18

FrozenFox
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Login loop in KDM after KDEmod upgrade to 4.2.3

belbono wrote:

A suggestion: Is it possible to add a feature to pacman, that gives you a warning if you might have insufficient diskspace?

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11639

Board footer