You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-30 09:51:12

webofunni
Website

Need partition icon in xfce desktop

Hi All smile ,

I am using Arch Linux with XFCE. I am just playing with all the options and I like to know how I can put the partition Icon for all the mounted partitions other than "/" partition. My mount tab is like

[root@arch ~]# mount | egrep ^/dev
/dev/sda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda7 on /media/home-deb type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda6 on /media/debian type ext3 (rw)

I want to put partition icon for Debian and Debian home. The XFCE is automatically creating the partition icon for all the USB stick that I am plugging in. Not sure how to create partition ICON for internal mounted partitions. Your help will be appreciated.

Regards,
Unni

#2 2009-05-30 10:19:58

whoops

Re: Need partition icon in xfce desktop

The only way I know, is to just create a .directory file inside the main directory. Take a look at ~/Desktop/.directory:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Icon=user-desktop
Type=Directory

You might be able to automate this by using a script (like p.e. get the mounted stuff using mount command and have it cp .directory files into the mounted dir's... there has to be a way to call that using udev or hal events or something too), but that's where my knowledge ends - no idea how exactly.

Is there a better way?

Last edited by whoops (2009-05-30 10:23:20)

#3 2009-05-30 11:16:59

karol
Archivist

Maybe you can add an icon-shortcut (a sort of a link) by hand? Right-click on the desktop should give you a menu where somewhere near the top you'll have 'add link' or sth like that. Enter '///media/debian' in the URL field, add descriptions, pick an icon.

#4 2009-05-31 13:21:51

webofunni
Website

Hi All,

Let me check that. I will update the thread. Thank you.

Board footer