You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-01 18:45:58

ak-89
Website

Awesome doesn't start [solved]

I was trying game with wine. Suddenly Awesome crashed  and then X didn't start anymore if using Awesome. Nothing weird in logs, X starts nicely, dwm and openbox works, no weird messages when starting X with awesome. Have tried starting with xinit, startx and with default configs. I have restarted X after last update of awesome and it has started before. Only thing I thought that would be cause of this is xorg update from 1.6.1 to 1.6.901, I updated that today and didn't restart X then. But I tried downgrading X to 1.6.0 and 1.6.1 and awesome didn't work. I tried awesome-git and it was same, no weird messages and didn't start. I have Nvidia Geforce 7800GS and use nvidia catalyst drivers and yes I have tried different versions of them too.

When starting with xinit or startx I can see mouse cursor flashing for a half second and then it's back on console and no messages that I haven't seen before. If I try to start with "X & DISPLAY=:0 awesome I see "Illegal Instruction" error message on console and I can see my wallpapers(yes I have two monitors) changing. I use the "wallpaper_cmd" setting in awesome's theme config so atleast Awesome does something before it dies. And of course I don't have anything related to wallpaper in my .xinitrc and have tried to comment out everything else than "exec awesome" in .xinitrc.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can post logs, but I say again there is nothing weird on them.

//edit: And I'll add here that it works with almost same config on my netbook. And both my netbook and desktop are up-to-date. Only big differencies are that I have two monitors on my desktop and my desktop has nvidia gpu, netbook has intel gpu. I tried it with single monitor configuration (commented another one out in my xorg.conf), but it didn't work. Openbox worked with one monitor too, but awesome not at all.

//2nd edit: I have tried more things, but it just doesn't work. I have tried different versions of xorg-server, awesome and catalyst-drivers. And only thing I get is "Illegal instruction". I don't understand how this is possible, because I haven't changed my xorg configuration and few days ago restarting awesome & X worked. And it gives same error with default awesome config.

SOLVED by myself: Don't know why this was happening, but compiling libev solved this problem.

Last edited by ak-89 (2009-06-01 20:02:04)

#2 2009-06-02 19:00:44

barjo

Re: Awesome doesn't start [solved]

Thanks you smile

#3 2009-06-11 14:16:00

PUE

I had the  same problem and this solution worked, but I really wonder what the actual problem is..

#4 2009-06-30 20:26:22

benito

Same here, recompiling helped, too. Thank you for the posting, it gave me the needed hint!

Board footer