You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-11 01:40:59

Phrodo_00
Website

XDG Defaults and openbox

I recently switched over from gnome to openbox after I realizaed I actually don't use gnome, just a small subset of it.

Anyway, everything I use that uses xdg defaults (and I use gnome-do and xdg-open quite a lot) always uses firefox... even for the file browser. any way i can change this? I'm executing gnome-settings-daemon.

#2 2009-06-11 02:20:03

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: XDG Defaults and openbox

It's the crappy design of xdg-open.

When in a DE, xdg-open uses that DE's appropriate tool:
* gnome: gnome-open
* kde: kfmclient exec
* xfce: exo-open
* anything else: browser

I don't think this fallback behaviour is sensible. What makes a browser more privelidged than any other application such that it should open everything? evince opens more than my browser.

Further, the preferred application preferences are all stored according to a freedesktop.org standard, thus it should fall back and implement that standard. After all, this is supposedly the freedesktop.org implementation of that standard.

I've started writing an xdg-open replacement that actually follows that standard, which I'll make available shortly. In the meantime, you can "trick" xdg-open into thinking you're in a DE. Have a look at the "detectDE" function in /usr/bin/xdg-open.

For example to trick it into believing it's in gnome:

GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID="xdgopensucks" xdg-open file:///home/iphitus/whatever

This doesnt seem to effect gnome applications either, evince at least does not complain. Nor does xdg-open mind what insult you throw at it.

You can probably set this as a bash alias, or export it in your xinitrc or openbox/autostart.sh

James

Last edited by iphitus (2009-06-11 02:26:53)

#3 2009-06-11 03:19:07

Phrodo_00
Website

Re: XDG Defaults and openbox

Wow... thanks a lot smile

I always asumed it was the other way around: that gnome-open called xdg-open, which was a binary.... now I can just change my alias o=xdg-open for exo-open or whatever and be happy smile thanks a lot

and I'm looking forward to you implementation.

Board footer