You are not logged in.

#26 2009-06-18 20:53:26

kevin89
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: [SOLVED] I want to switch to xmonad, but can't leave openbox b/c menu!

Allamgir wrote:
anrxc wrote:

Beside tiling windows, these window managers are all keyboard oriented. You have your keyboard and your terminal - the sky is the limit.

I think it would be great if I could just always have a terminal open and just launch apps & run commands from that. The only thing is, how do I launch an app from the terminal and still be able to launch more from that same terminal?

For example, if you open up a terminal and typed "firefox", then firefox would open but the terminal would just have a blank line and not be able to run any commands until firefox was closed. How do I change this so I can run more commands while firefox is open?

Just add an ampersand after the command, i.e. 'firefox &'.

#27 2009-06-18 21:58:56

Allamgir

Really? Wow, that's easy! For some reason I was under the impression it was a long convoluted command involving "exec"s and multiple "&&"s and more strange symbols.

дɭɭɑӎɠїɾ

#28 2009-06-18 22:33:55

webframp
Website

dtach is in [community] and can go a step beyond the & backgrounding.

You may also want to look into XMonad.Prompt and all the various prompt modules.

#29 2009-06-19 06:52:18

HashBox

Allamgir wrote:
anrxc wrote:

Beside tiling windows, these window managers are all keyboard oriented. You have your keyboard and your terminal - the sky is the limit.

I think it would be great if I could just always have a terminal open and just launch apps & run commands from that. The only thing is, how do I launch an app from the terminal and still be able to launch more from that same terminal?

For example, if you open up a terminal and typed "firefox", then firefox would open but the terminal would just have a blank line and not be able to run any commands until firefox was closed. How do I change this so I can run more commands while firefox is open?

Another useful note is if you do launch a program without using &, you can press control-z in the terminal it was launched from, which "pauses" the program, then type "bg" and it will place it into the background. Use "fg" if you need to bring it back to the foreground for some reason

#30 2009-06-19 09:10:18

Themaister
Website

Nice tip! I didn't know you could do that tongue

#31 2009-06-19 09:20:02

HashBox

Themaister wrote:

Nice tip! I didn't know you could do that tongue

Amazing the stuff you learn over time smile

#32 2009-06-19 11:13:56

koch

ooops, sorry

Last edited by koch (2009-06-19 11:14:33)

#33 2009-06-19 22:11:26

fifafrazer

You could also run gnome-do, though it is freedom-hating mono big_smile
I use Xfce4.6, xfce4-panel and gnome-do with xmonad. Gnome-do is a little smarter than dmenu, as it remembers your favorites and is able to launch .desktop files, which are not located in $PATH.

#34 2009-06-20 00:04:32

Allamgir

Ok now I've got xmonad up and running and I'm trying to assign gmrun to Alt+F2 via xbindkeys or xmonad.hs. Either way, gmrun does not use my gtk theme. It does when I run "gmrun" from the terminal as a normal user, but not with key bindings.

What could be wrong? How can I fix this?

EDIT: Ok I've found that running gmrun with the keybindings from xmonad.hs or xbindkeys runs it as root; everything I run from gmrun like that is run as root. It only works when I run gmrun from the terminal as a normal user.

Last edited by Allamgir (2009-06-20 00:06:04)

дɭɭɑӎɠїɾ

#35 2009-06-20 13:53:34

Allamgir

Ok I got it fixed. I don't know why I wanted to use Alt+F2; mod+P is way better. When I use xmonad.hs to set mod+P to spawn gmrun, it works perfectly.

Thanks for everyone's help in this thread. I'm going to mark it solved now.

дɭɭɑӎɠїɾ

#36 2009-06-20 16:18:05

moljac024

dmenu is a great app launcher, particularly the way it does matching, I believe someone said that already.
I really don't see what's better about gmrun (and I used to use that) apart from history, but sooner or later you'll realize you don't need that tongue

You did something wrong there, if Alt+F2 was launching gmrun as root, that shouldn't happen... in fact I'm using Alt+F2 for dmenu just fine.

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#37 2009-06-20 16:23:33

Allamgir

Thanks. I'll probably lean towards dmenu eventually, but for now gmrun is working just fine smile

Anyway, on a less related note, I'm having some trouble with text colors for xmobar. The background is fine. I set the main foreground color to white, but there are some elements (such as the universal titlebar and the current workspace) that use different colors. I have not yet found a way to change these.

I want to make the titlebar this blue color: 6C9EAB or 108 158 171

And you know how the selected workspace has [] around it and is yellow? I want it to be this orange color: E04613 or 224 70 19

So far I've been tinkering with xmonad.hs and my xmobarrc files, but I haven't been able to find ways to change these colors. How can it be done? I don't want to switch to dzen that much because these colors are all I really need to fix and dzen would require much more configuration (right?).

дɭɭɑӎɠїɾ

Board footer