You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-24 20:27:59

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

[solved] Gnumeric + clipboard data request

This has been fixed in the newest xfce clipboard

Hey gnumeric users... do you know how C-c in gnumeric is supposed to cause a dashed border to revolve around the cells and C-v into a gnumeric cell is supposed to automatically paste the same group of cells starting with where you started your last selection?

Well recently I've noticed that this only happens when my clipboard is disabled. When the clipboard is enabled, copying from gnumeric doesn't show the dashed border and pasting brings up the lengthy text import dialog. Per-application disabling isn't supported by my clipboard and I don't think command line disabling of it is either.

When I used the clipman-plugin that came with xfce-4.4, gnumeric worked perfectly. I have since downgraded to the old version of gnumeric I was using then but it still doesn't work with the new clipboard. That makes me think it's a bug in clipman. However I've also been told it could be a gtk2 bug. Regardless of the gnumeric version I've found a Copy and Paste checkbox in Preferences and it allows four combinations.

So if you would be kind enough to help me get data on this bug can you post your gnumeric version + gtk2 version + clipboard of choice and tell me the results of the four combinations? Thanks alot... here I go!

gnumeric 1.8.4-3
gtk2 2.16.2-1
xfce4-clipman-plugin 1.0.1-1

checkbox checked + clipboard enabled results in buggy pasting if I try to paste more than one cell
checkbox unchecked + clipboard enabled results in copying not working at all
checkbox checked + clipboard enabled results in expected behaviour
checkbox unchecked + clipboard enabled results in expected behaviour

ALSO: I thought a possible workaround would be middle clicking in gnumeric instead. But that seems to not be supported. Middle clicking in a cell does nothing and middle clicking in the formula box only pastes if it copies text that was selected outside gnumeric. Selecting text in gnumeric appears not to copy it.

Last edited by ConnorBehan (2009-07-16 19:51:16)

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#2 2009-06-24 23:00:16

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: [solved] Gnumeric + clipboard data request

Ok I just tried clipman 0.9.0 and pasting worked as expected in all 4 combinations. This makes me think that Gnumeric keeps "it's own clipboard" in memory. Especially since it highlights stuff that you copy. When you copy A B C in adjacent cells horizontally a text editor will show A \t B \t C. But if you copy this exact same stuff from the texteditor (when a Gnumeric friendly clipboard or no clipboard is active) it won't paste back into Gnumeric properly. Because Gnumeric probably monitors all the clipboards it knows how to monitor to see if the item selected is the one that it knows came from Gnumeric cells.

So with the new xfce one turned on, it probably says "oh something was copied! now I have to check every millisecond to make sure the most recent item on the clipboard is still what was copied! check #1: fail! the new version of this clipboard uses some protocol with which I'm not familiar so I have no way of knowing... solution: I'll forget that anything was every copied from me and if something is pasted I'll take all the precautions that I would for a foreign paste"... so I have to patch gnumeric to use this protocol or patch clipman to use the old one while still retaining all the new features.

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

Board footer