You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-24 23:56:15

adam.ec

Three problems in Gnome....

Hi, I've got a fresh install of Gnome on Arch. Everything is running great except for three things:

1) Clicking on Home or Desktop in the Places menu on the panel takes me to Find Files, not the Home or Desktop directory. I am logged in as a user, not as root.

2) Everytime I try to change something using gnome-system-tools it warns me that I haven't provided a password for an option normally only availabe through root.

3) I have tried to update groups in the Gnome Users and Groups tool. There are no groups or users listed for me to edit but I obviously have me as a user and at least fifteen groups on the machine.

Does anybody know how to correct the above? I've searched through at least 30 threads for each now and none of them actually relate to my problems. It's weird how folks on other forums just keeping answering "Google is you friend" and yet Google isn't mine because I cannot find the information I need. Google is a pain and all it gives me is Ubuntu solutions using Ubuntu-made tools.

Having had these problems Arch is by far the best distro launched yet in my opinion. I have used many distros since 1996 (my first was Suse) and Arch really does shine compared with the others.

#2 2009-06-25 00:31:12

jorchube

Re: Three problems in Gnome....

2 and 3) I guess gnome-system-tools / system-tools-backends is broken, since gnome 2.26 users/groups/services appears blank.  you can manage users and groups at the CLI(adduser, useradd, gpasswd... etc.  the arch wiki has all the answers wink

1) sorry, i have no idea.

Last edited by jorchube (2009-06-25 00:32:03)

#3 2009-06-25 17:11:13

adam.ec

Thank you jorchube. I have tried to reinstall both gnome-system-tools and the backend files but I still have the same problem. I've been looking to see if there is a configuration file somewhere for system-tools but cannot find anything. The Arch wiki is huge and I'm not sure I can find the solutions buried away there without a lot of a lot of deductive thinking. Looks like I'm sticking to the command line for the time being.

Once again, thanks.

#4 2009-06-25 18:36:22

Nepherte
Website

gnome-system-tools has been broken for a while now. Not sure if you can do something about it. Concerning the Arch Wiki, it has a search function wink A quick search gave me: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User_Management

Board footer