You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-03 02:43:48

Olnex

I need a way to install Arch and not lose Battle for Wesnoth progress

I've persuade a friend of mine to use Arch instead of Ubuntu, finally there is only one problem, he plays Battle for Wesnoth and likes it, he has saved several progress that he likes to continue after installing Arch, I'm not too sure what to do, do I just copy and paste something called .wesnoth in his home folder? I haven't install Arch for him yet as I'm afraid he cannot continue previous progress.
Thanks!

#2 2009-07-03 03:07:03

Arisna

Re: I need a way to install Arch and not lose Battle for Wesnoth progress

Yes, that is probably all you need to do.  Perhaps you could grab his config and put it on your computer just to make sure.

#3 2009-07-03 21:01:19

Knute

Re: I need a way to install Arch and not lose Battle for Wesnoth progress

One way would be to simply not format the partition that /home is on.

Since most people don't think of that, if you back up /home, with tar and put it on a cd/dvd/thumbdrive, then when you reformat, give /home it's own partition, then before you make that user,  restore the backup from the cd/dvd/thumbdrive.

After restoring /home, if you do an ls -l  it will give you the uuid and the gid for the users in /home.   When you create those users,  if you give them the same id's there shouldn't be the need for any other fiddling.   (especially if you used the -p option to keep the same permissions on the files).

I always insist on a separate partition for /home, and have for years.   I've had systems where the os got hosed, but with the separate parititon, I didn't lose any of my personal info cuz there wasn't anything that I couldn't afford to lose on the other partitions.   Though, there was that one time when I accidentally formated my home partition, but that was a very bad short between the keyboard and the floor.  roll

HTH

Knute

Board footer