You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-06 06:25:52

spektre

Can't start gnome-terminal in wmii, do I really need Gnome? [SOLVED]

This is what happens:

$ gnome-terminal 
ERROR:terminal-app.c:1433:terminal_app_init: assertion failed: (app->system_font_desc != NULL)
Aborted

I recently reinstalled Arch Linux i686 (been running x86_64 for a while). My girlfriend ran Gnome on her user on the x86_64 install but now she got her own computer so I didn't bother installing it on this one. Is that the problem? If so, how do I fix it?
Shouldn't pacman install everything that is needed?

Last edited by spektre (2009-07-06 07:39:52)

#2 2009-07-06 06:56:37

plurt

Re: Can't start gnome-terminal in wmii, do I really need Gnome? [SOLVED]

gnome-terminal is trying to get setting where its apparently can't. If you no longer use gnome, my advise is to go with another terminal app.

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane I say.
FAQ / Beginners Guide / The Arch Way

#3 2009-07-06 07:14:07

spektre

Point taken, my next question is, how do I create this setting manually? what part of Gnome contains it?
I'm more interested in learning how to make it work than to go the easy way. smile

Last edited by spektre (2009-07-06 07:14:47)

#4 2009-07-06 07:21:18

the_isz

Albeit I would definetely support your efforts to learning, you should really give rxvt-unicode a try. I really can't
imagine why it would make sense to spend your time trying to get another terminal running...

#5 2009-07-06 07:39:13

spektre

I installed ghex, now it works. I guess ghex set up the gnome config registry or installed the right parts. This should be possible for gnome-terminal to do during an install.
Anyhow, I'm satisfied and consider the thread solved.

#6 2009-07-06 07:43:59

plurt

well if you realy want to manually do this, you'd have to look into gconf: http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/, http://www.gnome.org/~bmsmith/gconf-doc … minal.html.

To me it seems a waste of time trying to get this to work, as the gnome-terminal (as the name says) clearly is part of a DE which you no longer use.
I'm not sure what path you followed to evolve from gnome into wmii but if you plan on changing DE/WM from time to time, you'd be better of using a terminal which is less dependant anyway. Even if this is not the case, gnome-terminal in wmii just doesn't fit imho.

Besides, plenty of more interesting and valuable things out there to learn.

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane I say.
FAQ / Beginners Guide / The Arch Way

#7 2009-07-06 07:48:06

moljac024

I think it also has some gnome run-time dependencies now, so it's not really practical to be used outside of gnome.
Have you tried terminal (from xfce4) ? It's almost the same as gnome-terminal... but then again, you can just hop on to urxvt straight away and be done with it...you'll end up using that eventually, just as you ended up using Arch as your distro wink

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#8 2009-07-06 08:57:16

spektre

Thanks for the pointers, I'll check out rxvt. After some thought, I can't seem to figure out why I'm so attached to gnome-terminal either...

plurt wrote:

Besides, plenty of more interesting and valuable things out there to learn.

That is very true wink

Edit: ... I'm sticking with urxvt, thanks for shoving me in the right direction. big_smile

Last edited by spektre (2009-07-06 09:53:41)

Board footer