You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-06 10:22:46

whoops

which WM's? hardware acc. / useful "effects" / some tiling support...

Hi!

Soon I'll have a single big Monitor instead of two small ones and if I want to be able to get used to that I might need to install a new WM too...

At the Moment I use compiz, because:
- It takes about no CPU at all + in my experience, for some reason it's very responsive / smooth no matter what the rest of the system does
- I use the magnifier a lot; fish-eye which is distorting the screen is a lot less disorienting to me than normal "linear box"-magnifiers plus again: no CPU usage.
- Has some tiling support (grid plugin) - which is mostly enough tiling support for me because I've been using 2 monitors all the time (= 6x3 grid - that about is my personal minimum - instead of just 3x3 wink)
- I like the easy configurable screen-edge, keyboard, mouse controls (like "top screen edge + mouse wheel = fish-eye zoom in/out"), but I guess that should be manageable with other tools...?
- I'm quite used to the expo & scale features, to see all windows at once (and move around the magnifier over them big_smile), but that's a feature I could do without.
- I don't like floating window handling that much (I'd rather have them automatically tiled to a place where they're visible but not in the way of anything), but as I don't usually encounter that many of those, that's not the most important thing either.

So now - I think I either got to find a new WM or figure out how to get the compiz dev. environment running despite all that "compiz-fusion-fusion-to-compiz"-chaos (yeah, my old one doesn't work any more, but that's another story). First choice is "find new WM", so one thing after another...:
- Need good WM choice
- Something to replace the fish eye
- Something that lets me set up advanced mouse/key shortcuts, edge/corner + mouse event etc...

And it would be a big help, if I found some good quality videos of someone actually "working" & explaining with different (tiling) WM's instead of just the the usual "wheeee look how resize my tiled windows"-stuff (which is imho the same niveau as "look at how I wobble with my compiz windows" and doesn't give me many hints about how "workflow" could look like when everything probably set up).

Tips, links, hints, answers, questions, comments?
Thanks!

Last edited by whoops (2009-07-06 10:26:04)

#2 2009-07-06 16:17:45

anrxc
Website

Re: which WM's? hardware acc. / useful "effects" / some tiling support...

One window manager fits, FVWM because it is what you make it. It is well documented, if you're up to it you will find everything you need your self.

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#3 2009-07-06 17:30:39

DevoidOfWindows

Re: which WM's? hardware acc. / useful "effects" / some tiling support...

Try the Cairo Composite Manager.  You get special effects and a magnifier, and it is window manager-agnostic.

Board footer