You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-07 03:31:26

alienman

Arch GNOME Fonts

Hi everybody, I just updated GNOME to the last version, or at least that's what I see when I launched

# pacman -Syu

. After that I just saw that my system has a better font rendering. I don't know if it the same for everybody or it has something to do with my cairo-ubuntu patch, but I have had this installed for several months, and this is the first time I had a rendering that I think it's compared to Fedora or Ubuntu.

Does anyone knows the reason of why after that upgrade I saw a better font rendering. Is this thanks to GNOME or it was something else?? cool

ISC - Ignacio Marmolejo
ArchLinux & GNOME User.

#2 2009-07-07 06:10:55

cliffbreaker

Re: Arch GNOME Fonts

Well, I had ugly fonts too after clean install. To improve the look of my gnome fonts I installed such packages as ttf-ms-fonts ttf-dejavu ttf-bitstream-vera and ttf-freefont

Windows works in 80 % cases, Linux in 20%, but you can make linux work in other 80% cases whilst you can never make windows work in last 20%

#3 2009-07-08 17:58:33

alienman

No no no, I don't have ugly fonts, in fact I love how they're rendered but my question was if this had been because of gnome, X11 or because of the path from cairo-ubuntu, freetype2-ubuntu, fontconfig-ubuntu and libxft-ubuntu.

Anyway I love the way it looks, with just one exception, OpenOffice, which I think i will look for a way to use my system rendering and not the one they provide.

ISC - Ignacio Marmolejo
ArchLinux & GNOME User.

#4 2009-07-09 18:32:14

nagnatron

OpenOffice font rendering is bad because it it is compiled against libraries without the lcd patches. I would love to be corrected but I think the only way is to build it.

#5 2009-07-09 21:56:13

alienman

Does anybody knows if go-openoffice suffers from the same problem, or if there's a way to compile any of them from abs editing or not the PKGBUILD and allow them to use the rendering system already installed.

ISC - Ignacio Marmolejo
ArchLinux & GNOME User.

#6 2009-07-09 23:38:28

nagnatron

I've installed it(go-openoffice) today along with cleartype patches and everything works fine now.

#7 2009-07-11 07:21:09

djselbeck

Hello, my normal openoffice just has the right font rendering with subpixel patches.

You can have a look here:

bildschirmfotod.th.png

Perhaps you have not set Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault with xrdb.

You can do this by creating a file an insert into it:

Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault

an load it with

xrdb -override filepath

if this works you can add this to your autorrun of your desktop enviroment

greets

Last edited by djselbeck (2009-07-11 07:24:38)

#8 2009-07-13 16:22:04

alienman

Thanks djselbeck, I tried that, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I think it is because I've been using cairo-ubuntu and all the patches needed for that to work.

Maybe I should try using just the lcd patch or maybe the clearype patch. But I'm not very sure which one could be better suited for a Laptop? Does anybody could share their experiences and guide to the more appropriate patch for a good rendering patch.

If no experiences shared then I could try all of them, but it takes sometime and in the wiki it seem to be different files and options to configure any of them. Actually there are no entry for the ubuntu patch, maybe I should've started by the lcd patch =P.

Anyway everything looks fine just OpenOffice menu doesn't look that great.

ISC - Ignacio Marmolejo
ArchLinux & GNOME User.

#9 2009-07-14 08:09:42

djselbeck

Hello,

I'm using the -ubuntu patches too, and as you can see they are working good even in openoffice.

Greets

Board footer