You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-13 18:56:06

playdafunkimuzic

Openbox/FVWM Question

I saw when searching fvwm in the forums (I can't find the one I found last time, now):

You can show thumbnails of all open programs and use that as somewhat of a task switcher, here is an example I found now:

http://sysphere.org/gallery/snapshots/fvwm2?full=1

Can this be done in openbox? Or just fvwm?

#2 2009-07-13 19:32:18

Army

Re: Openbox/FVWM Question

In case no one knows it better than me, I can tell you that openbox cannot do this! This is a window manager, no desktop manager ;-) Maybe there's an application which provides this functionality, but then this doesn't have to do anything with openbox. And I don't know anything about fvwm, never used it

#3 2009-07-13 20:18:23

heleos

FVWM isn't a desktop manager either. That functionality isn't really built into FVWM, but it can be achieved using the convert and writing a function. the FVWM lair would be a good place to look. You can google "fvwm thumbnail" which should give you some examples.

#4 2009-07-13 22:07:15

playdafunkimuzic

Is there a way to accomplish this in openbox, even with a program?

#5 2009-07-13 23:50:13

heleos

Not that I know of. You could always just configure fvwm to work exactly how your openbox works tongue

#6 2009-07-14 00:59:18

anrxc
Website

playdafunkimuzic wrote:

Those windows were iconified. It is done with a simple function, the function it self is simple, attaching it to a window action is not and requires a good window manager. Enightenment can do this for example.

playdafunkimuzic wrote:

ROX-Filer can also iconify windows if you let it manage the desktop (so it would work in Openbox) and I know of only one app that provides such functionality, so maybe you'll have some luck with it http://backstep.sourceforge.net

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#7 2009-07-14 02:57:47

playdafunkimuzic

anrxc wrote:
playdafunkimuzic wrote:

Those windows were iconified. It is done with a simple function, the function it self is simple, attaching it to a window action is not and requires a good window manager. Enightenment can do this for example.

playdafunkimuzic wrote:

ROX-Filer can also iconify windows if you let it manage the desktop (so it would work in Openbox) and I know of only one app that provides such functionality, so maybe you'll have some luck with it http://backstep.sourceforge.net

Will Backstep actually show an image of the screen that's open or just the icon of the program (aka the icon in the icon scheme for an application). The problem is I have too many programs of the same type open and I wanted this as an easy way to figure out which is which quickly without use of expose.

#8 2009-07-15 18:58:05

ThomasAdam

anrxc wrote:
playdafunkimuzic wrote:

But FVWM can do that.  Go look up "thumbnail" on the FVWM Forums (http://fvwm.lair.be)

-- Thomas Adam

#9 2009-07-15 19:06:54

RobbeR49

Backstep just shows an icon, not a mini image of the application.

What you're looking for is really only possible with FVWM because of it's built-in iconification feature plus the functions it allows you to write, Openbox just doesn't have that same capability.

personally I love the type of iconification that fvwm (or backstep) provide, I just wish backstep did a better job of drawing the icons.

Board footer