You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-21 05:12:31

dbc

LXDE not all there?

Doing my first Arch install, and also first time install of LXDE, just for the adventure.  So I'm not really sure what I should be seeing on LXDE's panel.   

On the left, I see: start menu icon, file folder icon, *broken icon*, screen thumbnail, and a grey box the size of a screen thumbnail.  The right had group, left to right: an empty black box, the time, and another broken icon. 

[Edit:] I also can't seem to move windows, although I can resize them.  They all show up pinned in the upper left. [/edit]

Did I miss some pieces of the install?

[Edit #2] OK, now I belive that X and/or LXDE starts up with an invisible cursor.  *If* I can manage to navigate down to the start menu without a cursor, and start a program (ie terminal), I get a cursor.  It changes to an I-beam inside the terminal window, and is a generic black X outside of it.  Once I make a cursor show up, it seems to stay.  So I think I have some kind of X initialization problem.  And the "invisible cursor" led me down a rat-hole on X configuration. See: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=76436 Although, in any case I can't move windows.[/Edit]

-dave

Last edited by dbc (2009-07-21 06:05:46)

#2 2009-07-21 07:33:31

jochen

Re: LXDE not all there?

Hello Dave,

LXDE uses openbox as default window manager. If you haven't installed openbox already, this could be your problem. You could also configure LXDE to use another window manager.

Regards,
Jochen

#3 2009-07-21 17:18:57

dbc

Yes, you are right.  That solves the cursor problem.  Now I have a nice looking arrow cursor, windows have borders and buttons and are moveable, and the screen flipper and iconifier work.  I didn't realize I need to pull in a window manager manually.

I still have the two broken pixmaps in the panel, and they don't seem to do anything.  Being new to LXDE, I'm not sure where to look for the cause of that -- I presume there is a configuration file someplace that is pointing to bogus/empty places.

-dave

#4 2009-07-22 09:56:47

Cdh

Actually these icons don't do anything, maybe they are there so one can see what areas are there and that icons can be put there... You can remove them by right clicking the panel and add/remove panel entries (don't know how it's called).

฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

#5 2009-07-23 01:40:36

RichSelian

It seems that the icon is for launching firefox. If you haven't install firefox the icon is broken. You can simply remove it by right clicking the icon.

Board footer