You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-23 22:52:34

Allamgir

[SOLVED] xbindkeys keybindings interfering with emacs

Note: the reason this is in Desktop Environments is because I originally thought my window manager was responsible for causing the keybindings at fault. If desired, move this thread to a more appropriate forum and delete this line.

I am new to emacs and decided to start learning it. I began on a mac, and it worked fine there, but now I am using dwm on my Arch box. Whenever I press Ctrl-f, a new terminal window (xterm) is opened instead of the emacs function I want performing. For example, if I'm in emacs and want to do C-x C-f, the C-x will work, but the C-f will just open a new terminal. I've looked through my config.h and didn't find any keybindings relating to the control key, so I'm not sure how to solve this.

The weird part is that urxvtc is my default terminal in dwm. I'm not even sure if this is a dwm problem, but even when I am using the emacs GUI interface, C-f will spawn an xterm. Emacs doesn't even get the chance to recognize C-f, so the command doesn't even work!

What could be wrong?

Last edited by Allamgir (2009-07-24 00:18:45)

дɭɭɑӎɠїɾ

#2 2009-07-24 00:13:16

Allamgir

Re: [SOLVED] xbindkeys keybindings interfering with emacs

I just installed xmonad to see if the problem persists. It does. Therefore now I'm completely stumped as to what could be causing the behavior that C-f opens xterm, and how to disable that in favor of using C-f in emacs. Doesn't anyone else have an idea?

дɭɭɑӎɠїɾ

#3 2009-07-24 00:17:33

Allamgir

Re: [SOLVED] xbindkeys keybindings interfering with emacs

Yes! I found the solution here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=195255

After figuring out that it was xterm that was being launched (I have xterm and urxvt looking about the same for some reason), I googled and found the problem lies with xbindkeys. Xbindkeys sets a few default bindings, some of which launch xterm.

Just edit ~/.xbindkeysrc, then comment out these lines:

gedit ~/.xbindkeysrc

# set directly keycode (here control + f with my keyboard)
# "xterm"
# c:41 + m:0x4

Restart X (or at least xbindkeys) and you're good!

smile

дɭɭɑӎɠїɾ

Board footer