You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-28 19:52:07

tacitdynamite

Awesome WM: how to return focus to parent of dialog after close

Hello all,
I've been a happy Awesome WM user for about three weeks. But in some programs, if a dialog pops up and I click 'ok' or whatever, focus is lost on the current program and I must change to another tag and back before my key commands will be sent to the host program. Example: In Digikam, if I enter ctrl-shift-right to rotate a photo, a dialog pops up showing the status of the operation, and when the dialog is dismissed, my keystrokes are no longer sent to Digikam. If Digikam is on tag 1, I'll have to enter mod4-2 mod4-1 to make awesome start sending keystrokes back to Digikam - which takes so long it defeats the purpose of using keystrokes in Digikam.  Has anybody else had this problem with Awesome WM?  What could be going on?
tacit

#2 2009-07-28 23:06:41

alterecco

Re: Awesome WM: how to return focus to parent of dialog after close

Are you using the default rc.lua? Which version of awesome?

If you have any experience with lua, you should look into your arrange hook, and refocus the last entry in your focus history, unless another client currently has focus. If you post some more info it should be possible to get you there... smile

#3 2009-07-29 01:35:38

tacitdynamite

I am using the default rc.lua, and I haven't taken the time to learn lua, though I'm comfortable programming in general. I'm running the 3.2 ("accidental babies") release.

#4 2009-07-29 01:50:03

alterecco

I seem to remember having focus issues with a previous release. Currently in community the awesome version is 3.3, so unless you have a specific reson to stay on 3.2 I would try upgrading. Alternatively post your arrange hook here (I can't recall how it looked in 3.2. You will find it towards the end of your rc.lua)

#5 2009-07-29 03:28:59

tacitdynamite

Thanks for your help - I'll have to try updating awesome wm in the next couple days. It took me a while to install it the first time, so I'll need a bigger block of time.

#6 2009-10-09 02:35:33

tacitdynamite

I've updated to the latest version, and it fixed this issue.

Board footer