You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-02 11:01:11

EmyrB

Mounting Hard Drives In Gnome

Hi All big_smile

I'm currently setting up a 64bit Arch Linux box for a friend of mine. He was using Ubuntu, but was not happy in them not updating Gnome when the point releases come out, so I talked him in to Arch Linux.

Anyway, I have set up Arch and Gnome and now I am faced with an issue I don't know how to resolve. He uses 2 SATA HDD's. SATA1 houses Arch (/boot, /, swap & /home), SATA 2 houses quite a few partitions. I have mounted both his music and photo's at startup with fstab, but the issue I am facing is that his other partitions I can't mount on the fly in Gnome.

For example, under Places > Removable Media are all the partitions on his SATA2 drive. I double click on the drive called Kansas (because its big wink ) and it asks me for my password to mount, but does nothing. Every time I select a drive after that to mount, nothing happens. I thought it was FAM, but I can plug in USB thumb drives and they mount and also it mounts DVD's & CD's.

Edit: - I can manually mount them to /media/device_name but this is not an ideal workaround

Now, I have asked if he want's them mounted all the time (by putting them in fstab) but he prefers to mount and unmount on the fly.

Any ideas?

Cheers

EmyrB

Last edited by EmyrB (2009-08-02 12:24:05)

Proud Arch Linux User

#2 2009-08-02 23:17:17

ZeroTruths

Re: Mounting Hard Drives In Gnome

Have you checked the logs to find any abnormalities or errors?
Also, since your setting up Gnome, I take it your using Nautilus, correct?

#3 2009-08-03 00:02:41

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Mounting Hard Drives In Gnome

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HAL

The wiki normally has everything you'd need.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer