You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-10 21:53:24

johnm76

KDE4 / Change resolution internal / external monitor - auto if pos.

I like KDE4 and use KDEmod. I've used it more or less as my main DE since 4.1. However, I often use my external monitor (1680x1050) instead of the internal (1280x800) -- yes, it's a laptop.

Now ... What I would like is to KDM (or anything similar) to recognize that I have my external vga-cable plugged in and turn off my internal monitor (as a default) and only use the external one.

As far as I can see Gnome is the only one capable of doing this; GDM-login is shown on both displays with the lowest resolution, but as soon as I'm logged in the internal is turned off and the correct resolution is set for the external. As for KDE, I need to go to 'Display' in System Settings and only then the switch is made.

How can I make my Arch Linux, powered by an Intel GMA965 (legacy drivers) and stock xorg, make KDE4 automagically sense the vga cable inserted and adjust accordingly? Is it possible that I can have this (as a default) real-time; say I start up the pc as a laptop-only, plug in my vga cable and intend to use it as a desktop and KDE recognizes this and turns off the internal and on the external ...

Is this solvable? At driver level? At Xorg level? At KDE level? Anyone??

#2 2009-08-11 14:14:49

zephyrus17

Re: KDE4 / Change resolution internal / external monitor - auto if pos.

How do you do that in gnome? I can't get the external to work. Gnome's "Display" settings won't even see that the external is connected.

Board footer