You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-22 13:33:39

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Xorg automatic deletions

Starting yesterday I have been noticing the strangest problems... libraries automatically being deleted! I was eating dinner yesterday and my comptuer was on but then I suddenly heard it shut down. I didn't know why so then I turned it on again. I noticed that things were a little slow so I started watching a low resolution video in mplayer and even that was slow. Eventually mplayer quit, I got logged out of my X session and init stopped all the daemons and shut down my system again.

After starting up again and noticing terrible glxgears (50fps instead of 700) framerates I was able to discover that /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/r128_dri.so was mysteriously missing. This would explain the first shutdown. A library in use got deleted and caused X to crash and become slow when I next started it. So I reinstalled r128-dri and got it working again. A few minutes ago, I suffered another sudden X shutdown but this time init was not involved. So now I've reinstalled xorg-server, mesa, libgl, r128-dri and xf86-video-r128 but my glxgears framerate is still slow (300fps instead of 700). This isn't nearly as bad as it was before but I'd sure as hell like to find out what unstable monstrosity on my system is causing these problems!

I have been using a self-made xfce panel plugin recently (which I will release as soon as xfce grants me an account on their site) which uses popen to run an external process but this is just amixer. Could some strange combination of buffer overflows cause it to delete files? I doubt it because it's not runnnig as root. I suspect something low level in X but the only way to be sure is to reinstall everything on my system. Has anyone else had this problem? Also it could be a drive failure but I've been running smartctl -H /dev/sda and it always says PASSED.

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

Board footer