You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-28 02:36:09

eeepc ranger

[SOLVED] compiz slow after upgrade

The system: eeepc 901, LXDE, compiz as WM (this has worked swimmingly for months)

The problem: all of a sudden, compiz exhibits a 3-second delay on every action.

Yesterday I performed a regular pacman -Syu, and there seemed to be a kernel-headers upgrade among other things that I forget. Maybe a dbus or hal thing or xorg whoseewhatsit.

The CPU monitor shows no exertion: all is normal there.

Openbox works fine, so I'm using it as a backup.

I checked my /etc/hosts settings: consistent with rc.conf.

I played with compiz settings, with no results.

My daemons in rc.conf have dbus before hal, but I tried other combinations to no effect.

My xorg.conf is minimal, and experimentation with that made no difference. (Since Openbox works, I suspect this is a Compiz problem and not X, unless it has to do with compositing.)

Two clues:

I had the same problem a few weeks ago, but solved it by removing my user accounts from the "video" group. Root still had the delay, but I never log on as root, so I lived with it. Also, I didn't get this problem when connected to an external monitor. (I didn't check this time, but I suspect the same.)

I sometimes (usually after an upgrade) receive an error message about gtk settings. I don't have the suggested file: ~/.gtkrc-2.0, but everything seems to work and I just assume LXDE is taking care of that stuff in its own way.

This is probably something stoopid that I hope y'all will forgive.

Last edited by eeepc ranger (2009-09-01 01:24:53)

#2 2009-08-28 02:40:50

flamelab

Re: [SOLVED] compiz slow after upgrade

I guess that you have an intel card. Try:

1)Logging in without xorg.conf
2)Experimenting with:

xf86-video-intel-legacy, xf86-video-intel, xf86-video-intel-newest, xf86-video-intel-git.

And see which one has the best performance.

#3 2009-09-01 01:23:59

eeepc ranger

flamelab: Efharishto! (And many thanks, too!)

The legacy version works just fine.

If anyone reports better performance with the "newest" version, I'll give it a try.

#4 2009-09-01 03:23:48

flamelab

Νο prob. I think that with the new kernel, that has new TTM code, xf86-video-intel (not legacy, the new one), will have proper performance.

Board footer