You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-29 14:42:09

playdafunkimuzic

Some Openbox help/questions

Hi,

I'm posting as some help/questions because I think I'll have a good amount of questions, and don't want to open up too many threads. This is the first time I really went all out in setting up my openbox machine.

1) First, I tried to change the font. I used 'lxappearance' It was able to change the font in my programs (swiftfow, pidgin, xfce4-panel[the clock],obconf, lxappearance, etc.). However, the root menu is still the font that is associated with my theme '1977 Blue', as is the client menu, as well as the window border titles. How do I change this?

2) I've been temporarily using xterm for my terminal. What terminal is recommended to be used as most of my work revolves around the commandline. I want a terminal that supports csh,zsh, and bash, and that has full support for colors as I like VIM to be fully colored. How would I set up colors? Finally, I want, if possible the title bar of my terminal to display the location I am in, or the file I am editing, or what I am running. This way I can easily tell between all the terminals I have opened.

3)I have xfce4-panel here for temporary uses so I can have the time on my machine. I think that I truly just want a trayer as I would optimally like to have my laptop screen fully taken advantage of, as it's not as large as the desktop space I'm used to. Is there a trayer that has build in time capability? I don't want a complete panel right now, as I've mapped the client menu to a key for easy window switching [also why I want my terminals to have a name of what they're doing so I easily can switch between them]. All I really want is the corner of the screen to display my tray icons and the time. Any ideas?

I think that's all for now, thanks so much.

#2 2009-08-29 14:49:16

jelly
Administrator

Re: Some Openbox help/questions

playdafunkimuzic wrote:

Hi,

I'm posting as some help/questions because I think I'll have a good amount of questions, and don't want to open up too many threads. This is the first time I really went all out in setting up my openbox machine.

1) First, I tried to change the font. I used 'lxappearance' It was able to change the font in my programs (swiftfow, pidgin, xfce4-panel[the clock],obconf, lxappearance, etc.). However, the root menu is still the font that is associated with my theme '1977 Blue', as is the client menu, as well as the window border titles. How do I change this?

2) I've been temporarily using xterm for my terminal. What terminal is recommended to be used as most of my work revolves around the commandline. I want a terminal that supports csh,zsh, and bash, and that has full support for colors as I like VIM to be fully colored. How would I set up colors? Finally, I want, if possible the title bar of my terminal to display the location I am in, or the file I am editing, or what I am running. This way I can easily tell between all the terminals I have opened.

3)I have xfce4-panel here for temporary uses so I can have the time on my machine. I think that I truly just want a trayer as I would optimally like to have my laptop screen fully taken advantage of, as it's not as large as the desktop space I'm used to. Is there a trayer that has build in time capability? I don't want a complete panel right now, as I've mapped the client menu to a key for easy window switching [also why I want my terminals to have a name of what they're doing so I easily can switch between them]. All I really want is the corner of the screen to display my tray icons and the time. Any ideas?

1 ) you can change the theme in lxapperance just like the font .

2) rxvt-unicode is the terminal most arch users use with bash. That will work for vim you can edit the colours in .Xdefaults and the title bar in .bashrc  check PS1.

3) if you only want to see tray icons use something like trayer or so.

#3 2009-08-29 16:35:37

pogeymanz

playdafunkimuzic wrote:

Hi,

1) Install the program obconf, if it isn't already installed. This allows you to easily change your openbox fonts.
2) urxvt is what most people around here use. It is very flexible and fast. It can even have tabs. You customize it in .Xdefaults.
3) You can use Conky to display the time anywhere on your screen that you want it.

#4 2009-08-29 17:03:05

playdafunkimuzic

Okay, if I use conky:

I want to make a bar on the top of my screen, I have that done; easy. Now, if I say, maximize firefox it covers the conky, is there a way to make it so that maximize makes a window go as far as it can without covering conky? Thanks!

#5 2009-08-29 17:22:34

userlander

playdafunkimuzic wrote:

Okay, if I use conky:

I want to make a bar on the top of my screen, I have that done; easy. Now, if I say, maximize firefox it covers the conky, is there a way to make it so that maximize makes a window go as far as it can without covering conky? Thanks!

I think there's a variable for that. own_window_type panel I think, but I've never tried it myself.

#6 2009-08-29 17:26:21

playdafunkimuzic

Thanks! Actually: I set openbox's dock to be ontop of windows, and then i set conky "own_window_type dock" and it's right in the dock, working great. Thanks!! Now, to try to get urxvt to work the way I want smile

#7 2009-08-29 18:46:16

playdafunkimuzic

Hm, Conky has this blue box around it, like a border. I've been playing around with the ~/.conkyrc, and can't find where it gets turned off, or if there is a way to turn it off.

#8 2009-08-29 18:48:39

t4k1t

playdafunkimuzic wrote:

Hm, Conky has this blue box around it, like a border. I've been playing around with the ~/.conkyrc, and can't find where it gets turned off, or if there is a way to turn it off.

try

draw_borders no

in the configuration section (before TEXT)

Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become.

#9 2009-08-29 21:39:26

playdafunkimuzic

That's already there!

#10 2009-08-30 03:38:23

LeoSolaris

That's not actually conky, it's openbox. For some reason, openbox will put a border (if it is in your theme to have one) around any dock, even if you tell it not to. It's rather annoying actually.

The work around is to switch conky back to own_window_type desktop (or what have you, there are a few types) and use obconf to have a margin (on the margins tab) right where you want it.

It's either that or take the borders out of every theme you use in openbox.

I actually have this same issue with stalonetray. I have learned to use the border by hiding it off screen. The white border against my black background gives a 1 pixel white line at the bottom of the screen, so I remember that it is there.

Last edited by LeoSolaris (2009-08-30 03:44:09)

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#11 2009-09-01 01:28:19

playdafunkimuzic

Yeah, I figured out the margin hack. I had to time the settings right in my autostart.sh, if I slept too much before putting conky on, it would lower the conky bar (I have a one bar at the top of the screen). I'm trying to figure out how to blend a tray with conky nicely.

#12 2009-09-02 01:41:50

synorgy
Website

If you just want a tray and clock, check out docker, which will handle your tray icons, and lal (or lalcal). Both sit in Openbox's slit and work wonderfully (for me, that is).

If you'd also like a pager, check out bbPager - though you have to style that manually.

An example of what I'm proposing looks like can be found at http://synorgy.deviantart.com/art/Mycru-114299797

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#13 2009-09-02 22:53:44

playdafunkimuzic

That looks great. What happens when windows are maximized?

Also: I like the way you have your prompt set up in terminal (bash or zsh)? Can you possibly post that too smile

Last edited by playdafunkimuzic (2009-09-02 22:55:05)

Board footer