You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-02 14:25:29

alef

compiz became suddenly slow, not after an upgrade

Hello,

I was quite happy with my Arch setup on eeepc 1000H, with compiz as standalone WM.

Yesterday, I booted and there was an awful lag, the system is now unusable. I have not modified xorg settings, neither performed any software upgrade. Here is what happened between the day where compiz was OK and the day compiz got slow.

- played around with some compiz settings : parameters of some effects and keyboard shortcuts definition (no big change)
- changed gtk theme and icon theme
- installed checkgmail applet and added it in start_fusion.sh startup script. At that point everything was fine before shutting down.
- added the battery to the netbook (had never been running under Arch with the battery before).

Here is what I have tried after the problem appeared:
- remove checkgmail applet from startup script
- removed the battery and boot with ac adaptor plugged in

The lag is still there, any graphical operation take ages (> 5 sec).

Has anyone an idea about where I should look at ?Is it rather kind of a powersaving mode issue, or some option in compiz settings manager which would have such an effect ?

Thanks for your help guys.

[EDIT]: added precisions

Last edited by alef (2009-10-02 14:30:42)

#2 2009-10-02 14:51:59

purple12

Re: compiz became suddenly slow, not after an upgrade

Not sure if it'll help, but in order to enhance performance (reduce lag), Comiz offers a "loose binding" option.  You can read about it in their t-shooting section.  I've never used it, but I noticed it while poking around.

http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Troubleshooting

#3 2009-10-06 10:55:11

alef

Thanks for your tip purple12, unfortunately this solution is not good for me.

There was a great fluidity before, without the loose binding option.

i'll do some checks according to what's written in troubleshooting section tonight when i'm back in front of my machine, but i don't think the tips should solve my problem.

#4 2009-10-06 12:43:11

Lexion

Maybe try shutting down the computer, removing the battery and ac, press the power button for 5 seconds, plug the ac in, and starting up.  And out of curiosity, what effects?  Can you change the settings back?

urxvtc / wmii / zsh / configs / onebluecat.net
Arch will not hold your hand

#5 2009-10-07 10:59:45

eazy
Website

purple12 wrote:

Not sure if it'll help, but in order to enhance performance (reduce lag), Comiz offers a "loose binding" option.  You can read about it in their t-shooting section.  I've never used it, but I noticed it while poking around.

http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Troubleshooting

I confirm that using nVidia (Geforce 9600M GT) and the loose binding option the performance gets a very noticeable improvement. No idea on other cards though.

no masters to rule us, no gods to fool us

#6 2009-10-07 13:48:09

demas

I had such problem with intell video card recently.

It helped me:

$ LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 INTEL_BATCH=1 compiz --replace --indirect-rendering --sm-disable ccp &

#7 2009-10-07 17:11:24

alef

Hi,

thanks all very much for your tips. The various solutions you proposed did not work in my case.

This is not that important since I'm not using Arch as main distro for the moment. I know that compiz did work with a great fluidity, so I can reinstall it whenever I want. Now I may experiment another WM --> Awesome maybe.

Cheers,

Board footer