You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-19 09:06:55

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Gnome 2.28 - separate X server, apps lose focus?

This is quite hard to quantify, but since updating to gnome 2.28 (with the appropriate GTK updates, of course), my apps seem to be losing focus randomly.

This is easiest to notice in Nautilus because I tend to use the buttons (back, up level) most often. When I first start nautilus in the second X server, all the buttons show as clickable (box around them when I mouse-over) and work, but once I start browsing by clicking on folders in the main pane, a mouse-over of the buttons doesn't show them clickable, and clicking on the buttons does nothing. This can be fixed (sometimes) by alt-tab and going back to the same window, or (all the time) by clicking the drop-down arrow for history (back). When this happens, scrolling the mouse won't scroll the folder in the pane, though I can use the keyboard to page up and page down.

Similarly, in my Eclipse IDE clicking some buttons will disable all buttons, which will still be accessible through their keyboard shortcuts but not by clicking on them (no response, as if an invisible app was on a layer above them).

Have no idea where to begin searching for information about this, no error logs (not that I'd expect them), just weird behaviour. Does this happen for anyone else?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2009-10-21 19:15:25

n3olynx

Re: Gnome 2.28 - separate X server, apps lose focus?

I ran into the same problem you describe with Eclipse. I found through a mailing list that setting GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=true before starting eclipse fixes the problem.

#3 2009-10-21 22:34:40

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Gnome 2.28 - separate X server, apps lose focus?

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=82894 also mentions it.

Am surprised this affects nautilus, though...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer