You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-21 21:56:47

einheitlix

[solved] man pages painfully slow with compiz

Hi,

since recently I've got this problem when using Compiz, that when I open a man page in a terminal, navigation is painfully slow. For example, when I use the cursor keys to navigate through the man page, it lags horribly. This doesn't occur when I use metacity instead of compiz as a window manager.

Everything else is ok. Even when I visualize a long file using 'less', the performance is totally normal (no lags).

It's true that I updated a lot packages recently, and attached a second monitor to my graphics card, and modified my xorg.conf accordingly, so it might come from that somehow... however, I don't know which could be the cause. There was an update of xf86-video-ati (I'm using the opensource radeon drivers with my ATI Radeon 9600 Pro) and of man-db, but downgrading these guys doesn't seem to help. Disabling my second monitor did not help either sad

Has anyone else seen this problem? Any clue what might be going on?

Thanks ! smile

Malte

Last edited by einheitlix (2009-10-22 12:39:17)

#2 2009-10-22 07:20:43

jarryson

Re: [solved] man pages painfully slow with compiz

you mean everything very slow in terminal?

try to change your "AccelMethod" to "EXA" in xorg.conf

and check wiki and see if there have a solution.

#3 2009-10-22 12:35:59

einheitlix

Re: [solved] man pages painfully slow with compiz

Hi,

thanks, you pointed me in the right direction ! smile

Actually I had to do the opposite: I had EXA enabled in my xorg.conf (one of the many things I changed while tuning my xorg.conf to use my secondary screen). Disabling EXA solved the problem.

Since I upgraded to kernel 2.6.31 and had problems with compiz (white screen), I had to disable KMS. See http://www.archlinux.org/news/468/
As soon as mesa-7.6 is out, I will try to re-enable KMS and then re-enable EXA. Hopefully this will solve the problem too, I'd like that better than disabling EXA smile

Cheers,

Malte

Last edited by einheitlix (2009-10-22 12:37:05)

Board footer