You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-12 14:43:50

ammon

Middle mouse button suddenly stoped working.

This happened recently, maybe after some update but I think all relevant packages for mouse are updated long time ago (kernel, hal, udev, ...).
Im using Arch64 with all current updates from repos (I dont use testing repo).

There is some error message while booting, something about /var/run/dbus.pid
I have tried to remove it but error comes back every boot. I think it has something to do with mouse.
But i cant read it.
How to check boot log, where to look for it? I have gone trough all /var/log/ and there is nothing about it.

#2 2009-12-12 16:22:29

MadTux

Re: Middle mouse button suddenly stoped working.

To me it sounds more like a X issue, except that you mean it is not working in the shell. Then it would depend on how you configured X, e.g. input hotplugging, xorg.conf etc.

#3 2009-12-12 16:54:36

ammon

I doubt that it is xorg problem. Xev does not recognise middle click, but wheel works.
And I dont use hotplugging, my xorg.conf is manually configured and Im using same one for over year now.

#4 2009-12-13 13:15:03

ammon

help!

#5 2009-12-13 14:40:23

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

if it is a dbus problem, try starting dbus manually with

# /etc/rc.d/dbus start

but if the pid file keeps coming back chances are dbus is fine. i think you can press scroll lock (ScrLk) during boot to pause it, and shift+page up/down to scroll around. The daemon messages don't get logged afaik.

anyway, check your /var/log/pacman.log if you want to find out whats been updated, and check for xf86-input-evdev which is the mouse driver most people use and was updated recently. if you use a different one check for that. in any case i agree with madtux its probably an X problem.

P.S. since you have dbus and hal why not enable hotplugging?

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#6 2009-12-13 15:34:51

ammon

I cant pause boot with scrlk because I dont have it, im on laptop and that key is used via combination of Fn+Del.
And that does not work without xorg.

What is strange is that I cant stop/restart/stop dbus manually without any errors.

I have checked /var/log/Xorg.log and there is no errors in it. And this is my xorg.conf mouse section:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "USB Mouse"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option         "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option         "Buttons" "5"
EndSection

P.S.
I dont use hotplugging because I had some problem with it since I updated to xserver 1.5 so I disabled it. I worked fine till now.

#7 2009-12-14 02:16:33

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

hmm... well the only thing i can suggest is try using evdev in your xorg.conf instead. not sure if that will work though, but try this article for more information: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Get … ns_Working

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#8 2009-12-14 12:33:06

ammon

Ty for that, but with evdev mouse does not work at all. :S

Btw, I have tried to compile xserver with -enable-hal-config and -enable-dbus-config, nothing changed.

P.S.
Should xev register middle click if it is recognized by kernel?

#9 2009-12-14 23:08:29

ammon

Hi, as last call I dissembled my mouse and reassembled it. It works now, it was hardware problem all along. However it was nothing jaming the wheel (dust, particles) mouse was just being funky. smile

Thanks for help!

#10 2009-12-15 05:15:09

henrygrik

Hi,
I was in great need of it and by the time you posted the above link. It was greatly helpful to me. Thanks a lot posting it over here.

Board footer