You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-14 19:19:53

algorythm

What happened with Pacman?

[SOLVED]Pacman very slow to sync local and repository

Pacman evolution

What happened? When did pacman get this friggin' fast with updating. I don't even need to do the "pacman cage" script anymore.

- Thanks, and hopefully I won't be punished for asking this roll.

Last edited by algorythm (2010-01-14 19:20:47)

“Talent you can bloom. Instinct you can polish.”  — Haikyuu!! (adapted)
“If everybody thought alike, no one would be thinking very much.”  — Walter Lippmann (adapted)
“The important thing is to be able, at any moment, to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.”  — Charles Dubois

#2 2010-01-14 19:29:11

drcouzelis
Website

Re: What happened with Pacman?

Did speed improve in pacman? Pacman hasn't been updated since 2009-11-14.

I'm confused, why did you post those two links?

I considered uninstalling pacman-cage so I would have fewer packages installed, but I decided not to because it is just so stinkin fast. big_smile

Last edited by drcouzelis (2010-01-14 19:53:45)

#3 2010-01-14 20:30:57

algorythm

I guess I was pretty confusing. I mean you don't need to use the pacman cage (as far as my testing with just installed arch 64-bit proved) because updating is so fast anyway.

“If everybody thought alike, no one would be thinking very much.”  — Walter Lippmann (adapted)
“The important thing is to be able, at any moment, to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.”  — Charles Dubois

#4 2010-01-14 20:42:25

Anonymo
Website

algorythm wrote:

I guess I was pretty confusing. I mean you don't need to use the pacman cage (as far as my testing with just installed arch 64-bit proved) because updating is so fast anyway.

It's always fast when you first install Arch, but degrades over time, then you have to do a whole re-install  tongue

#5 2010-01-14 20:45:30

drcouzelis
Website

Anonymo wrote:

It's always fast when you first install Arch, but degrades over time, then you have to do a whole re-install  tongue

SHHH! Don't say the "R" word! These are the Arch Linux forums! yikes

#6 2010-01-14 21:47:11

sand_man

It will only slow down because of the cache and the type of filesystem used. They make all the difference.
I've never experienced slow pacman, I rarely clear the cache and I've never used pacman-cage.

Last edited by sand_man (2010-01-14 21:47:42)

neutral

#7 2010-01-15 12:25:14

algorythm

K, then. That's what I figured out but I red on the "Pacman very slow" topic that pacman is slow because it has to check so many individual text files in /var/*. I mean PKGBUILDs (and the other install configs).

Last edited by algorythm (2010-01-15 12:27:52)

#8 2010-01-15 12:26:51

EVRAMP
Website

There's also pacman-optimize command to speed up when cache gets fragmented.

#9 2010-01-15 12:27:19

algorythm

EVRAMP wrote:

There's also pacman-optimize command to speed up when cache gets fragmented.

Yes I know but that wasn't what I was asking. wink

#10 2010-01-15 22:50:10

sand_man

algorythm wrote:

K, then. That's what I figured out but I red on the "Pacman very slow" topic that pacman is slow because it has to check so many individual text files in /var/*. I mean PKGBUILDs (and the other install configs).

Yes that's right but the slowness comes from the type of fs or the fs config. I've always had /var as reiserfs

neutral

#11 2010-01-16 01:11:23

drcouzelis
Website

sand_man wrote:

It will only slow down because of the cache and the type of filesystem used. They make all the difference.
I've never experienced slow pacman, I rarely clear the cache and I've never used pacman-cage.

sand_man wrote:

Yes that's right but the slowness comes from the type of fs or the fs config. I've always had /var as reiserfs

I see. You've setup a fast filesystem yourself for pacman to use, whereas I had pacman-cage setup a little filesystem for pacman to use. I had no idea the filesystem type made that much of a difference. It sure does make a difference! yikes

Putting /var on a filesystem that is good at handling lots of small files really quickly sounds like a great idea. Aside from reiserfs, do you have any suggestions?

#12 2010-01-16 02:37:53

sHyLoCk

sand_man wrote:
algorythm wrote:

Yup same here! Reiser is good for handling small files.

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#13 2010-01-16 02:49:15

ataraxia

For a while after ext4 went stable, the first sync after bootup - when the disk cache wasn't populated yet - would be very slow. It became fast again when I upgraded to 2.6.31.

#14 2010-01-16 11:35:27

algorythm

Yes, I know that ReiserFS/Reiser4 are designed to be very good with small files and also the suggestion by someone on the same topic was to have 'pacman-sqlite' (so that the /var/* directory would just be a sqlite database) as sqlite dbs are faster. The solutions now are the pacman cage or /var with fs that's fast with small files.

Anyways I thought Reiser 4 was stable already? It's even gonna (at least if 'everything goes well') enter mainline around 2.6.36.

Board footer