You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-28 21:42:19

Romanrp

How can I maximize video quality of SMplayer?

I use Smplayer and I was wondering whether there is some sort of recommended codec and/or setup for smplayer to maximize the quality of videos

#2 2010-01-28 22:58:49

toxygen

Re: How can I maximize video quality of SMplayer?

smplayer  uses mplayer for its engine so any quality/video codec things would be done through mplayer.  i use mplayer-vdpau-nogui package, which has alpha/beta/whatever support mplayer has for vdpau (for nvidia cards primarily).  i use the standard PKGBUILD with some omissions (the remote control, and other things i dont need).  this package is also svn, so you get the latest trunk source. then use the pkgbuild for smplayer-svn to keep any changes smplayer made concurrent to the svn version of mplayer.  i get successful builds usually every couple of weeks (though i only build it every couple of weeks, you can do it daily if you want).

then if you want more details on what you need, you can check out what codecs and such you can do by going into src and doing ./configure --help to see what options list the codecs available to build, and what libraries you would need for them.

the mplayer webpage can help you with the build options.

Last edited by toxygen (2010-01-28 22:59:37)

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#3 2010-01-28 23:08:01

rsambuca

I am pretty sure that one thread with this question is enough.

#4 2010-01-29 14:55:59

Romanrp

It is not my fault that there is no delete thread button.
I have downloaded the  mplayer-vdpau-nogui, is that it or do I need to change some settings or etc.?

#5 2010-01-29 15:00:03

wonder
Developer
Website

mplayer from extra has the same features as mplayer-vdpau-nogui and make this one obsolete and have to be removed.

the thing is you CAN'T maximize the video quality of a video file that has poor quality

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#6 2010-01-29 15:02:45

Romanrp

I have tried watching the same movie in different players and nero had better quality than Smplayer.
And then I tried changing codecs on smplayer and found that some are better that others.

Last edited by Romanrp (2010-01-29 15:05:50)

#7 2010-01-29 23:21:23

toxygen

wonder wrote:

mplayer from extra has the same features as mplayer-vdpau-nogui and make this one obsolete and have to be removed.

I've been wondering about that.  Just old habit to use the same PKGBUILD, I might just rename it to plain mplayer

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#8 2010-01-30 02:18:21

monshin

Romanrp wrote:

I have tried watching the same movie in different players and nero had better quality than Smplayer.
And then I tried changing codecs on smplayer and found that some are better that others.

Some things that could explain that behavior comes to mind:

- The use of different codecs in nero and mplayer.
- If the video is H264 check if you have activated the loop filter.
- Check if nero does some postprocessing (filters).

#9 2010-01-30 03:10:05

broch
Banned

vdpau is supported by nvidia 8 (but not all: e.g. G80 based will not work) and better, so maybe check if your card will suport Purevideo.

list of vdpau capable cards:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU

hope this will help

Board footer