You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-18 02:51:47

vendion
Website

Using the splix driver for a Samsung CLP-315

I have a Samsung CLP-315 printer and used the foo2qpdl driver before, but not being able to remember the exact name of the driver on the Open Printing Database and I see that the splix driver is not recommended, http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Sam … ng-CLP-315.  I figured that I would give it a try, I installed it with pacman and got a message about installing the color profiles.  I downloaded the directory needed but when I go to make them it fails with an error:

root /home/vendion/Download # make installcms CMSDIR=/home/vendion/Download/cms MANUFACTURER=samsung                                                 
make: *** No rule to make target `installcms'.  Stop.

Has anyone tried using this driver before?  If not then I have no problem with using foo2qpdl just wanted to see the difference was noticeable.

Thanks for any help that is offered

#2 2010-04-19 12:43:17

vendion
Website

Re: Using the splix driver for a Samsung CLP-315

Ok well I have decided to go with foo2qpdl do to lack of input with the other driver, but it seems I am having problems with cups.  When I go to add the printer it asks me to log in, I give it the credentials for root then I just get a error from my browser Chromium gives me a "Aw snap" error and in Konqueror I get this error:

The requested operation could not be completed
Request Aborted By User
Details of the Request:
URL: http://localhost:631/admin/
Protocol: http
Date and Time: Monday 19 April 2010 8:40 am
Additional Information: localhost
Description:
The request was not completed because it was aborted.
Possible Solutions:
Retry the request.

Anyone seen this before with cups?

If needed the version of cups I have installed is 1.4.3-2

#3 2010-04-20 00:07:15

vendion
Website

OK so it seems to avoid the problem with the web interface I have to manually restart cups, even though I have it it my daemons array in /etc/rc.conf, but that pointed out another issue no matter if I have usblp blacklisted or not Cups does not detect my printer but I can see it attached with lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04e8:328e Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd

Help please?

#4 2010-05-30 19:53:43

iosonofabio

Coming back to your original problem, I had a similar question about my XEROX Phaser 6110 MFP, and I simply created a folder called cms in  /usr/share/cups/model/xerox/ and copied the cms files into it, then chmodded 444 all of them. Finally, as my printer was in the MODEL list in OEM.ini, I created a ppd.gz file of my ppd file in /usr/share/cups/model/xerox/ and chmodded 444 it.

I am not yet sure about the effects of this procedure...

#5 2011-02-14 01:51:35

vendion
Website

It seams that my problem is caused be not having the correct PPD file for my printer.  The Splix package comes with a ppd file for clp-300, but for the clp-315 only seems to work with the clp-310 PPD file, which is not included in the Splix package (looks like it is this way up stream).  I have tried searching for where I can download/obtain a copy of the PPD file with no luck.  Anyone on the list able to help out?

#6 2011-02-14 02:02:30

ferda

Have you tried

AUR/samsung-unified-driver

I have a clp-320 and it works perfectly with this driver (after blacklisting usblp).

#7 2011-02-14 06:53:35

flan_suse

vendion wrote:

OK so it seems to avoid the problem with the web interface I have to manually restart cups, even though I have it it my daemons array in /etc/rc.conf, but that pointed out another issue no matter if I have usblp blacklisted or not Cups does not detect my printer but I can see it attached with lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04e8:328e Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd

Help please?

To get my USB printer detected by CUPS, I had to remove the cups package, and install cups-usblp from the AUR. All I had to do afterwards was restart cups, and then add my USB printer via the web gui (localhost:631).

I'll continue using cups-usblp from the AUR instead of cups, since it's the only way to print from this Arch box.

Last edited by flan_suse (2011-02-14 06:54:26)

#8 2011-02-17 21:40:45

vendion
Website

I also have cups-usblp installed on my box and it sees the printer I am just missing the PPD needed for my printer, I have opened a bug report upstream to see if it is possible to include the PPD for the Samsung CLP-315.  I am trying to avoid using the Samsung unified driver as much as possible I have heard to many negative things about it (how much of them are true I don't know for sure).

Board footer