You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-21 02:51:34

d_logan

I'm not even new to Arch yet

I haven't yet installed Arch. I made a quick attempt a few weeks ago by using Unetbootin to put an .iso on a USB stick.  It would not boot, so I just installed what I'm used to, Gentoo.  More specifically, I started using Funtoo. 
I've been a fan of Gentoo for years, but as of late something seems to be missing.  The community doesn't seem what it used to be.

Which brings me to why I'm dropping in (other than I might be an Arch user here shortly).  For the past several months, it seems everytime I find an actual solution to a problem I'm having, it comes from the ArchLinux forums. The community here seems to be what I believe the Gentoo community once was.  I salute you for it.

Anyway, to get started, is there a problem with using Unetbootin with an Arch iso?  Or was it a fluke?  I'm using an Eee PC 1005PE. (or should I post this question in one of the technical sections?)

#2 2010-04-21 03:06:00

ewaller
Administrator

Re: I'm not even new to Arch yet

I have always liked Gentoo, and felt the Gentoo community was at the top of the heap technically.  There are still great ones over there like Pappy_mcfee and needy_seagoon. 

I had a hard time leaving because the community is important.  That said, This community left Gentoo's community behind several months back.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2010-04-21 03:15:41

splittercode

I installed Arch on my eee 1005HA using unetbootin, it worked just fine.  I used the .img file though, not the .iso.  There is a fair amount of info to be found in the wiki if unetbootin doesn't work out though.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Put … _a_USB_key

and yeah, the Arch community is the best around.  The Arch linux forum/wiki has been a great resource for me, even before I used Arch.

Last edited by splittercode (2010-04-21 03:17:37)

#4 2010-04-21 03:29:10

denisfalqueto

First, welcome, d_logan.

About the iso, I don't know if it's possible to use unetbootin on the Arch iso, but there's no need too. They always release usb images, so you can grab them at the download link at the top of this site or here. I think the later link is more accurate (in spite of being testing versions), because the official download page is from 08-2009. So, if you are going to download something, let it be the newest :-)

About the community, I think the most of us come from other distros. So we all know what we don't like over there and don't want to let it happen again here. What I like most here is that when some discussion starts to get out of the rails, some moderator chimes in and puts it back very politely. The moderators do a very good job (my compliments, gentlemen). And the rest of us are very friendly and prone to help anybody that is not lazy to make his own part.

The better way to get help here is always look at the wiki (don't forget to read the Beginner's Guide) and the search tool of the forums works fantastically. If all else fails, ask and we can try to help you.

Satisfied users don't rant, so you'll never know how many of us there are.

#5 2010-04-21 05:23:13

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I used unetbootin to install, but that was a bit of a while ago. Don't know why it would not work for you (to be fair, your few years is a bit of a longer while than mine).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2010-04-21 13:19:14

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Use the .img
and, welcome.

#7 2010-04-21 13:58:03

eldragon

just remember the code of conduct here:
a) use the wiki
b) use the man pages
c) search the forums
d) use google
e) post a question

the order doesnt seem to matter, as long as e) comes last wink

#8 2010-04-21 14:46:34

drcouzelis
Website

eldragon wrote:

a) use the wiki
b) use the man pages
c) search the forums
d) use google
e) post a question

f) post a shell script about anything
g) post a theory about random numbers
h) update something in the wiki
i) post about "the best" AUR helper
j) accuse Allan of something
k) post about how much you love tacos or poutine
j) post about how amazing Arch Linux is

...am I missing anything from the steps to becoming an Official Arch Linux User?

#9 2010-04-21 14:59:14

flamelab

drcouzelis wrote:
eldragon wrote:

a) use the wiki
b) use the man pages
c) search the forums
d) use google
e) post a question

...am I missing anything from the steps to becoming an Official Arch Linux User?

I've done all of these, i'm proud big_smile:D

#10 2010-04-22 01:37:30

d_logan

Are there any updated .img usb images? Unetbootin will not work, it fails to mount the disk.  I used dd to get the 2009.08 image booted, but my ethernet (L1C gigabit) freaks out.  I cannot get a DHCP address.  I can assign a static, but can't talk to any nodes on the network and ifconfig shows an error on every TX and RX packet.

#11 2010-04-22 01:44:55

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

d_logan wrote:

Are there any updated .img usb images? Unetbootin will not work, it fails to mount the disk.  I used dd to get the 2009.08 image booted, but my ethernet (L1C gigabit) freaks out.  I cannot get a DHCP address.  I can assign a static, but can't talk to any nodes on the network and ifconfig shows an error on every TX and RX packet.

You could always boot the image from a hard drive with GRUB:

# (2) Arch Linux Image
title    Arch Linux Image
root    (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/memdisk
initrd /boot/archlinux.img
boot

Obviously, you will need to get the memdisk from /usr/lib/syslinux after you install syslinux on the distro you are using currently.

This may help you:
http://www.wikihow.com/Boot-a-Floppy-Im … Bootloader

Welcome to Arch smile

EDIT: These images should work (core)
i686: http://mirrors.kernel.org/archlinux/iso … e-i686.img
x86_64: http://mirrors.kernel.org/archlinux/iso … x86_64.img

Last edited by cesura (2010-04-22 01:47:36)

#12 2010-04-22 01:53:33

d_logan

I'm not sure I see how booting the same image that I booted from my USB stick, but on the hard drive is going to help with the NIC driver problem.  Also, the image you provided are the same as the one I'm talking about (2009.08), just core instead of netinstall.

#13 2010-04-22 02:34:27

d_logan

I had tried searching before but didn't see it.  I may have my solution from here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=626481

#14 2010-04-22 03:52:02

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

d_logan wrote:

I'm not sure I see how booting the same image that I booted from my USB stick, but on the hard drive is going to help with the NIC driver problem.  Also, the image you provided are the same as the one I'm talking about (2009.08), just core instead of netinstall.

It can't hurt to try it. Just a suggestion smile

drcouzelis wrote:
eldragon wrote:

a) use the wiki
b) use the man pages
c) search the forums
d) use google
e) post a question

I believe you forgot:
l) Posting random threads while under the influence

Last edited by cesura (2010-04-22 03:53:52)

#15 2010-04-22 05:33:33

d_logan

Ok, I think now I can be officially welcomed to Arch.  I have a booting system on my 1005pe. Wireless and wired are working.  Have kde up and running.  Just going through the docs/wiki/etc trying to figure out how everything works.  Tomorrow I'll most likely get into netcfg.  From the description it sounded like I could really make use of some functionality I'm always fighting with in other distros.  We'll see.
Anyway, thanks for the help, I look forward to being part of the Arch community.

#16 2010-04-22 14:45:04

stryder

Welcome!

Board footer