You are not logged in.

#26 2010-06-13 08:24:28

mips1

Re: Arch Linux Partitions And Filesystems

Ritwik7 wrote:
mips1 wrote:

I have used XFS for a long time but very recently switched to ext4. I find ext4 faster than XFS.

I read that benchmarks show otherwise. Has ext4 improved a lot in recent times to be faster than XFS?

ext4 seems to have improved over time. The last benchmarks I looked at before a fresh install put ext4 on par with xfs for large files but ext4 wins with small files and some disk i/o operations. After going to ext4 disk performance definitely 'felt' faster to me. I'm a longtime xfs user so I was sceptical before the switch but prefer ext4 now. Try it for yourself.

#27 2010-06-13 10:09:36

demian

Inxsible wrote:
Ritwik7 wrote:

And yes, I too would like to know how stable btrfs would be on Arch now.

No its not.

I'm using btrfs on my two main machines since a week now and it seems absolutely stable. In fact, btrfs survived a power loss during a storm without any damage.

no place like /home
github

#28 2010-06-13 11:14:50

Cdh

From many positive posts about btrfs in the forums here I decided to use btrfs with compression on my netbook as / (the harddisk is painfully slow). So far I didn't have any problems but I have had it only a short time.

My layout on the laptop is 500 mb for /boot (ext2), the previous root partition for data with jfs and the new / with btrfs.
The problem is that neither grub nor grub2 can boot from btrfs so you need a supported filesystem on your /boot.

There should be no discussion about wheter to use btrfs because of supposed instability: You should ALWAYS make a backup of important files so when btrfs actually does fail it should be not too bad.
(It's only bad when your data is so big that you don't have a hard disk to back it all up sad )

฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

#29 2010-07-22 19:27:33

JohnieBraaf
Website

Btrfs has  since last week left the experimental stage for disk format.
See http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/6/12/66
It remains however under heavy development...

For a demonstration and roadmap (presented on Arch) see
http://video.linuxfoundation.org/video/1608

Last edited by JohnieBraaf (2010-07-22 19:47:08)

Board footer