You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-12 12:32:20

Axanon

[SOLVED] KDE: I have a network connection, but web browsers don't work

At the terminal Firefox gives this error...

...@base-pc-1 ~]$ firefox
Couldn't load XPCOM.

When loading konqueror from a terminal, I get:

konqueror(1930)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/konq_aboutpage.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.

A dialog box pops up with:

There was an error loading the module About-Page for Konqueror.
The diagnostics is:
Cannot load library /usr/lib/kde4/konq_aboutpage.so: (/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.8: invalid ELF header)

Trying to load (another) page, the terminal shows:

konqueror(1930)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde3Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/konq_aboutpage.so" does not offer an "init_konq_aboutpage" function.
konqueror(1930) KonqFactory::createView: no part could be loaded 
konqueror(1930) KonqViewManager::loadItem: Profile Loading Error: View creation failed 
konqueror(1930)/kdecore (KLibrary) findLibraryInternal: plugins should not have a 'lib' prefix: "libkhtmlpart.so"
konqueror(1930)/kdecore (KLibrary) findLibraryInternal: plugins should not have a 'lib' prefix: "libkhtmlpart.so"
konqueror(1930)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/libkhtmlpart.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance function.
konqueror(1930)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde3Factory: The library "/usr/lib/kde4/libkhtmlpart.so" does not offer an "init_libkhtmlpart" function.

KDE dialog box:

There was an error loading the module KHTML.
The diagnostics is:
Cannot load library /usr/lib/kde4/libkhtmlpart.so: (/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.8: invalid ELF header)

Then the page loads (showing only the page source).

w3m sucks for a web browser.. I feel like it's 1993 again.

EDIT: I should note that I installed 'kde-meta' (the full deal) and have made sure that kdelibs is also installed.

What should I do about this? Am I missing a package? If so, which one?

Last edited by Axanon (2010-06-13 03:58:20)

#2 2010-06-13 02:58:13

MadCat_X

Re: [SOLVED] KDE: I have a network connection, but web browsers don't work

You can try "pacman -S kde" to make sure you get the whole KDE. You're definitely missing some packages. BTW, are you sure you have the proper libjpeg installed?

#3 2010-06-13 03:57:47

Axanon

Re: [SOLVED] KDE: I have a network connection, but web browsers don't work

Actually, I started over from scratch again and carefully added each separate metapackage that was needed by KDE and a lot of the base apps (rather than the whole kde/kde-meta in one shot) and it works flawlessly now. Thanks though smile.

Board footer