You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-16 19:07:59

markuman

cups without usblp support?

today i'm wondering why cups don't recognized my printer (Samsung ML-2010R) on a fresh arch linux installation. I've never got any problems with this printer and linux/cups.
the kernel and usblp module works fine

usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 2 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04E8 pid 0x326C
usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp

but cups don't list any usb printers or give me a chance to add one.
so i find in aur the package cups-usblp -> http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=35029
with this aur package, it straightaway works!

is extra/cups realy build without usb support or why does this special aur package exist?

#2 2010-06-17 01:12:14

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: cups without usblp support?

If you're up to the challenge, search for the forums for usblp. I don't remember exactly what happened, but it was something like "more printers are going to be broken with it than without it" on some CUPS upstream change a while back.

#3 2010-07-15 09:01:22

pjezek

The problem with usblp/libusb seems to be a new nightmate for us with Samsung printers (mine is ML-2010). Either with or without usblp blacklisted in rc.conf module array, my system doesn't recognize the printer in any attempt to add it or check it. It is tight with cups upgrades because the printer was recognized and  worked well (in spite of I also noticed 1 page printing only for a short time) before 1.4.4. The web configuration fails with showing usb printer at the list of  "new printer" options... Recently I was successfully using a splix driver only.

Good news! I have just installed hal-cups-utils and modprobed usblp and my printer is well recognized and works. I have to ensure this configuration is stable after rebooting and add findings.

Last edited by pjezek (2010-07-15 09:24:56)

Our tomcat for your mice! Archlinux for your comps! Alfa Romeo for your roads! Faster running guaranted!

#4 2010-07-15 20:56:46

AndyRTR
Developer

http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/ … 12867.html

I haven't received one response...

#5 2010-07-16 06:44:57

pjezek

Thanks Andy, but that patch is "a step aside" with a sense of better cups design in the near future. What I post above seems to be universally functional solution in spite of my lack of inofrmation on how hal-cups-utils can block libusb and use usblp instead. I strongly recommend to install hal-cups-utils with usblp allowed in rc.conf as - in any way temporary - solution since new cups adopt an idea from the patch. I am aware following my suggestion prevents from any incovenience with printing after -Syu. Please correct me if I am wrong...

Our tomcat for your mice! Archlinux for your comps! Alfa Romeo for your roads! Faster running guaranted!

Board footer