You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-21 13:21:55

aa_movingtarget

Awesome WM no terminal after install?

Hey Archies,

When I install Awesome from the AUR I cannot open a terminal (and as you know, this is troublesome).  The mod keys don't seem to work (mod4 + Enter) does not open a terminal.  Anyone had this problem?  I've tried it two or three times now and it just doesn't seem to work, or I'm missing something with the arch + awesome configurations.  I've installed it with #! and it works, but I like Arch, dangit.  Thanks for the help, or if anyone can point me in the right direction, I appreciate it much. 

PS I didn't see anything related to this on the awesome wiki either.... I'm sure it's really easy and something peculiar I'm overlooking. 

Cheers!

#2 2011-10-21 13:38:38

lifeafter2am

Re: Awesome WM no terminal after install?

aa_movingtarget wrote:

Hey Archies,

When I install Awesome from the AUR I cannot open a terminal (and as you know, this is troublesome).  The mod keys don't seem to work (mod4 + Enter) does not open a terminal.  Anyone had this problem?  I've tried it two or three times now and it just doesn't seem to work, or I'm missing something with the arch + awesome configurations.  I've installed it with #! and it works, but I like Arch, dangit.  Thanks for the help, or if anyone can point me in the right direction, I appreciate it much. 

PS I didn't see anything related to this on the awesome wiki either.... I'm sure it's really easy and something peculiar I'm overlooking. 

Cheers!

Haven't used Awesome in a while; but what does your Awesome config look like?  Maybe somehow something got changed (like the mod key)?

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#3 2011-10-21 13:45:50

aa_movingtarget

I've uninstalled it now, but I did look at it and the mod key was (supposed to be) mod4+Enter... Thanks for trying!

#4 2013-04-04 06:29:56

GloW_on_dub

I know that an old thread, but i've encountered the exact same problem and  found what was missing.
It may gain one or two hours to somebody.

xterm was missing, and awesome did not complain about it, just no terminal.

pacman -Sy xterm

resolve the problem.

#5 2013-04-04 12:22:18

fsckd
Forum Fellow

If one looks in the default configs, /etc/xdg/awesome, there is terminal = "xterm". It's not a huge step to check if xterm is installed.
Thanks anyways GloW_on_dub, closing as a necro-bump.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

Board footer